Picture Viewer/Photo editor

April 21, 2005 4:50:30 AM

Hi All,

Two problems, probably unrelated but both to do with photos. Very much
appreciate any input. Thank you.

1. if I right click a jpeg photo file in my folders I have, among other
things, options to open with "Microsoft Photo Editor" or with "Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer". Files open fine with the latter but Photo Editor
flashes an "unknown file format" error message. Why?

2. neither of the above programs appear to actually exist on my pc in as
much as they are nowhere on my "Start Menu" nor can I find any folder
containing them. Further, they do not appear in the Windows "Add or remove
Programs" utility, either in the main list or in the "Add/Remove Windows
Components" section. This is driving me crazy. If anyone can point me to the
..exe files for these programs I'd be very grateful.

Simon.
simonshot69@hotmail.com
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:50:31 AM

There is no *.exe file for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll

rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll
-----

Microsoft Photo Editor is part of MS Office (previous to Office 2003).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE

In Add or Remove Programs, Microsoft Photo Editor would be listed under
whatever Office application(s) you have.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:qNC9e.1086634$6l.424397@pd7tw2no,
Simon <simonshot69@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi All,
>
> Two problems, probably unrelated but both to do with photos. Very much
> appreciate any input. Thank you.
>
> 1. if I right click a jpeg photo file in my folders I have, among other
> things, options to open with "Microsoft Photo Editor" or with "Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer". Files open fine with the latter but Photo Editor
> flashes an "unknown file format" error message. Why?
>
> 2. neither of the above programs appear to actually exist on my pc in as
> much as they are nowhere on my "Start Menu" nor can I find any folder
> containing them. Further, they do not appear in the Windows "Add or remove
> Programs" utility, either in the main list or in the "Add/Remove Windows
> Components" section. This is driving me crazy. If anyone can point me to
> the .exe files for these programs I'd be very grateful.
>
> Simon.
> simonshot69@hotmail.com
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:50:31 AM

Photo editor:
"C:\Program Files\MSPhtoEdit3.01\PHOTOED.EXE"

I use two other viewers, so don't even know where the Win fax is at, 'cause
I think it's worthless!

Hope my post re: Photoeditor helps :)

"Simon" <simonshot69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Two problems, probably unrelated but both to do with photos. Very much
> appreciate any input. Thank you.
>
> 1. if I right click a jpeg photo file in my folders I have, among other
> things, options to open with "Microsoft Photo Editor" or with "Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer". Files open fine with the latter but Photo Editor
> flashes an "unknown file format" error message. Why?
>
> 2. neither of the above programs appear to actually exist on my pc in as
> much as they are nowhere on my "Start Menu" nor can I find any folder
> containing them. Further, they do not appear in the Windows "Add or remove
> Programs" utility, either in the main list or in the "Add/Remove Windows
> Components" section. This is driving me crazy. If anyone can point me to
> the .exe files for these programs I'd be very grateful.
>
> Simon.
> simonshot69@hotmail.com

April 21, 2005 6:27:34 AM

Thank you for this info. I should have thought of Office as a possibility.

If I wanted to remove Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, would it be safe to
remove the dll??

Also, any idea why Photo editor can't open .jpeg extensions but is OK with
..jpg??

Thanks again.

> There is no *.exe file for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll
>
> rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll
> -----
>
> Microsoft Photo Editor is part of MS Office (previous to Office 2003).
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE
>
> In Add or Remove Programs, Microsoft Photo Editor would be listed under
> whatever Office application(s) you have.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:qNC9e.1086634$6l.424397@pd7tw2no,
> Simon <simonshot69@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Two problems, probably unrelated but both to do with photos. Very much
>> appreciate any input. Thank you.
>>
>> 1. if I right click a jpeg photo file in my folders I have, among other
>> things, options to open with "Microsoft Photo Editor" or with "Windows
>> Picture and Fax Viewer". Files open fine with the latter but Photo Editor
>> flashes an "unknown file format" error message. Why?
>>
>> 2. neither of the above programs appear to actually exist on my pc in as
>> much as they are nowhere on my "Start Menu" nor can I find any folder
>> containing them. Further, they do not appear in the Windows "Add or
>> remove
>> Programs" utility, either in the main list or in the "Add/Remove Windows
>> Components" section. This is driving me crazy. If anyone can point me to
>> the .exe files for these programs I'd be very grateful.
>>
>> Simon.
>> simonshot69@hotmail.com

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:27:35 AM

Simon,

You can't delete shimgvw.dll, it's a protected system file. Disable it.

Disable Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak148.aspx

Follow the instructions here and change JPEG to Microsoft Photo Editor...

To change the program that opens a file

some info...
MS Photo Editor
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.a...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:qcE9e.1084399$Xk.339289@pd7tw3no,
Simon <simonshot69@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you for this info. I should have thought of Office as a possibility.
>
> If I wanted to remove Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, would it be safe to
> remove the dll??
>
> Also, any idea why Photo editor can't open .jpeg extensions but is OK with
> .jpg??
>
> Thanks again.

>> There is no *.exe file for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>>
>> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll
>>
>> rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll
>> -----
>>
>> Microsoft Photo Editor is part of MS Office (previous to Office 2003).
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE
>>
>> In Add or Remove Programs, Microsoft Photo Editor would be listed under
>> whatever Office application(s) you have.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:qNC9e.1086634$6l.424397@pd7tw2no,
>> Simon <simonshot69@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Two problems, probably unrelated but both to do with photos. Very much
>>> appreciate any input. Thank you.
>>>
>>> 1. if I right click a jpeg photo file in my folders I have, among other
>>> things, options to open with "Microsoft Photo Editor" or with "Windows
>>> Picture and Fax Viewer". Files open fine with the latter but Photo
>>> Editor flashes an "unknown file format" error message. Why?
>>>
>>> 2. neither of the above programs appear to actually exist on my pc in as
>>> much as they are nowhere on my "Start Menu" nor can I find any folder
>>> containing them. Further, they do not appear in the Windows "Add or
>>> remove
>>> Programs" utility, either in the main list or in the "Add/Remove Windows
>>> Components" section. This is driving me crazy. If anyone can point me to
>>> the .exe files for these programs I'd be very grateful.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>> simonshot69@hotmail.com
April 21, 2005 7:25:54 AM

Wesley,

TY for the info. Quite helpful. I'm still not finding out why Microsoft
Photo Editor gives me an "Unknown File Format" error message though. Any
ideas on that?

news:o 8pD41hRFHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:34:26 AM