Cacheable Limit Dell Latitude CPi ?

My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and she
wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those old
P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?

Correction, it's not the CPI but the CP 233ST

"Kyonn Gowans" <kyonn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and
> she
> wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those
> old
> P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?

"Kyonn Gowans" <kyonn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and
> she
> wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those
> old
> P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?

If this is a Pentium machine, then the max memory is probably 128 MB and the
cacheable limit is probably 64 MB. There were a few Pentium chipsets that
could cache the whole 128 MB, but it's unlikely your laptop has one.

"Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Kyonn Gowans" <kyonn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and
>> she
>> wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those
>> old
>> P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?
>
> If this is a Pentium machine, then the max memory is probably 128 MB and
> the cacheable limit is probably 64 MB. There were a few Pentium chipsets
> that could cache the whole 128 MB, but it's unlikely your laptop has one.

Please do not comment on things you have no knowledge about. From the 386 on
up, the chip has been able to cache up to 4GB of memory. Practical caching
ceilings have always been a chipset limitation. With the early Pentium II's,
the LX chipsets were limited to 512M with SDRAM, but would support 1GB with
EDO. I have had multiple Pentium SMP machines with 1GB of ram.

In the case of this particular laptop, I believe it is a P5 233 MMX chip
(not the PII 233). Again, the limitation will be with the chipset
implimentation, not the CPU as ignorantly stated above.

- NuTs

Go to Stonent's Latitude Site
http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/
The Cp has a max memory capacity of two 64 meg sodimms (must be edo, pc66,
pc100 sdram will not work).
The Cpi or CpiD has a max memory of two 128 meg sodimms (again, must be edo)
The 128 meg edo sodimms are scarce and expensive.

There is a way to trick bios a Cp to make it a CpiD, they are the same
motherboard, it is called a TR-4. That would enable a Cp to accept 128meg
sodimms.

Bill

"Kyonn Gowans" <kyonn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and
> she
> wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those
> old
> P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?

Intel Pentium II-class chipsets, as used in Dell notebooks and elsewhere, will
cache the entire 256MB of memory. Even if the chipset could not cache all the
memory, an upgrade to the maximum would be recommended because a computer runs
much faster accessing non-cached main memory instead of flogging the hard disk
swap file... Ben Myers

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Kyonn Gowans" <kyonn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and
>>> she
>>> wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those
>>> old
>>> P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?
>>
>> If this is a Pentium machine, then the max memory is probably 128 MB and
>> the cacheable limit is probably 64 MB. There were a few Pentium chipsets
>> that could cache the whole 128 MB, but it's unlikely your laptop has one.
>
> Please do not comment on things you have no knowledge about. From the 386
> on up, the chip has been able to cache up to 4GB of memory. Practical
> caching ceilings have always been a chipset limitation. With the early
> Pentium II's, the LX chipsets were limited to 512M with SDRAM, but would
> support 1GB with EDO. I have had multiple Pentium SMP machines with 1GB of
> ram.
>
> In the case of this particular laptop, I believe it is a P5 233 MMX chip
> (not the PII 233). Again, the limitation will be with the chipset
> implimentation, not the CPU as ignorantly stated above.

Don't be such a jerk. I never said anything about the cache limit being a
processor limitation. I wrote in my previous post, "A few Pentium chipsets
[can] cache the whole 128 MB." Chipsets, not processors. Also, I never
mentioned anything about Pentium IIs, so I don't know why you brought that
up.

The fact is that most consumer-class Pentium chipsets (430FX, VX, TX) would
only cache the first 64 MB of memory. The 430HX, if implemented with a
certain tag RAM chip, would cache up to 512 MB. Server class chipsets are a
different story, but that's not what's in a laptop.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/chip/pop/g5iComparison-c.html

The OP wasn't concerned with whether his processor could cache 4 GB of
memory; he was concerned with how much his *laptop* could cache. Turns out
the Latitude CPi uses the TX chipset, so it can cache at most 64 MB of RAM.
My original post was correct.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pmojav/54723.pdf