WIRELESS CONNECTION OK - BUT NO INTERNET

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
July 16, 2005 9:16:39 PM

This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack of
response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
some group protocol I must not be aware of.
If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply say
they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no suggestions. If
(2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be educated. Here is a
repeat of my previous posting:

My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases being
able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of good
connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection with
the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date, to
no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
connectivity. Any suggestions???

My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP firewall
disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet on
the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even though
the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like to
know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
Got any ideas?

More about : wireless connection internet

July 16, 2005 11:11:14 PM

Have you tried to type in the 192.168.xxx address in the TCP/IP rather than
let it set automatically?
Have you set your VAIO LAN card to not save power, broadcast at the highest
power settings, etc.
If the Sony has the Intel LAN 220/2915, have you installed the latest
drivers?
Since it connects for a few minutes it sounds like your LAN card?
I am sure others have better ideas than me, but try the above.

Christian

"traveler" <jamesoswalt@cableone.net> wrote in message
> This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack of
> response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
> Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
> some group protocol I must not be aware of.
> If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply say
> they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no suggestions.
> If (2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be educated. Here is a
> repeat of my previous posting:
>
> My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases being
> able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of good
> connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection with
> the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
> power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date, to
> no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
> connectivity. Any suggestions???
>
> My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP firewall
> disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet on
> the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
> The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even though
> the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
> laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like to
> know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
> Got any ideas?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2005 11:51:23 PM

What ip is your computer being assigned?

If you run the command ipconfig /all in your command prompt window, what is
the output.

It's one thing to ask for help, but you need to leave more information for
anyone to help you troubleshoot. We can't see your computer screens from
where we are.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"traveler" <jamesoswalt@cableone.net> wrote in message
> This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack of
> response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
> Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
> some group protocol I must not be aware of.
> If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply say
> they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no suggestions.
> If (2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be educated. Here is a
> repeat of my previous posting:
>
> My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases being
> able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of good
> connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection with
> the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
> power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date, to
> no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
> connectivity. Any suggestions???
>
> My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP firewall
> disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet on
> the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
> The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even though
> the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
> laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like to
> know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
> Got any ideas?

Related resources
July 17, 2005 12:47:13 PM

The assigned IP is 192.168.2.139.

You're absolutely right when you say one must provide the required info in
order for others to help. Problem is, some non-experts like me don't know
what info to provide. That's why I post what I think will describe the
problem, and hope a kind-hearted expert like you will patiently post back
with a need for more specific info. I appreciate your assistance very much.
I just find it incomprehensible that the laptop gives no indication of lost
wireless connectivity (signal strength = Very Good) but all of a sudden I
can't connect with my ISP.

Thanks in advance Jason.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> What ip is your computer being assigned?
>
> If you run the command ipconfig /all in your command prompt window, what
> is the output.
>
> It's one thing to ask for help, but you need to leave more information for
> anyone to help you troubleshoot. We can't see your computer screens from
> where we are.
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "traveler" <jamesoswalt@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack of
>> response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
>> Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
>> some group protocol I must not be aware of.
>> If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply
>> say they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no
>> suggestions. If (2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be
>> educated. Here is a repeat of my previous posting:
>>
>> My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases
>> being
>> able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of
>> good
>> connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection
>> with
>> the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
>> power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date,
>> no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
>> connectivity. Any suggestions???
>>
>> My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP firewall
>> disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet on
>> the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
>> The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even
>> though
>> the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
>> laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like to
>> know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
>> Got any ideas?

July 17, 2005 1:07:03 PM

It's a Lan-Express AS miniPCI, and it's been impossible so far to locate a
driver source. If I manually assign an IP, do I have to disable DHCP or
Autoconfiguration? Power doesn't APPEAR to be the problem. As I say, all
indications are the wireless connection between the adapter and the MN-700
remains, I just can't connect with my ISP. Thanks.
"Christian" <nomail@please.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried to type in the 192.168.xxx address in the TCP/IP rather
> than let it set automatically?
> Have you set your VAIO LAN card to not save power, broadcast at the
> highest power settings, etc.
> If the Sony has the Intel LAN 220/2915, have you installed the latest
> drivers?
> Since it connects for a few minutes it sounds like your LAN card?
> I am sure others have better ideas than me, but try the above.
>
> Christian
>
> "traveler" <jamesoswalt@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack of
>> response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
>> Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
>> some group protocol I must not be aware of.
>> If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply
>> say they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no
>> suggestions. If (2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be
>> educated. Here is a repeat of my previous posting:
>>
>> My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases
>> being
>> able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of
>> good
>> connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection
>> with
>> the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
>> power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date,
>> no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
>> connectivity. Any suggestions???
>>
>> My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP firewall
>> disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet on
>> the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
>> The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even
>> though
>> the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
>> laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like to
>> know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
>> Got any ideas?

July 17, 2005 11:37:11 PM

Did you go to Sony.com click on electronics select notebook then support and
look for a update driver. I do not know the model for your Sony.
No you do not have to disable DHCP just use an IP in the range of the
MN-700 or just use the IP you are receiving now.
On your Sony yes you disable autoconfiguration, just make note of all the
settings now via ipconfig /all so you can type them in the right place.
There are many things that could cause the problem some of the Forms could
help you on http://www.dslreprts.com .

> It's a Lan-Express AS miniPCI, and it's been impossible so far to locate a
> driver source. If I manually assign an IP, do I have to disable DHCP or
> Autoconfiguration? Power doesn't APPEAR to be the problem. As I say, all
> indications are the wireless connection between the adapter and the MN-700
> remains, I just can't connect with my ISP. Thanks.
> "Christian" <nomail@please.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried to type in the 192.168.xxx address in the TCP/IP rather
>> than let it set automatically?
>> Have you set your VAIO LAN card to not save power, broadcast at the
>> highest power settings, etc.
>> If the Sony has the Intel LAN 220/2915, have you installed the latest
>> drivers?
>> Since it connects for a few minutes it sounds like your LAN card?
>> I am sure others have better ideas than me, but try the above.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> "traveler" <jamesoswalt@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>> This the last time I'll bother this group with this problem. The lack
>>> of response (ZERO) to my previous posts indicates to me that either: (1)
>>> Everyone is stumped and has no suggestions, OR, (2) I am not adhering to
>>> some group protocol I must not be aware of.
>>> If (1) is true, I would appreciate it if an expert or two would simply
>>> say they've never heard of this problem before and can offer no
>>> suggestions. If (2) is true, I apologize in advance and ask to be
>>> educated. Here is a repeat of my previous posting:
>>>
>>> My VAIO laptop with integrated wireless - g adaptor routinely ceases
>>> being
>>> able to connect with the internet after a few minutes to few hours of
>>> good
>>> connectivity, even though all indications are the wireless connection
>>> with
>>> the MN-700 is is still functioning. I have done all the suggested
>>> power-down/cycles, made sure my MN-700 firmware/software is up-to-date,
>>> no avail. I end up restarting the laptap which always restores the lost
>>> connectivity. Any suggestions???
>>>
>>> My laptop and desktop both are running XP SP2, and I keep the XP
>>> firewall
>>> disabled. The MN-700 connects to a cable modem. When I lose internet
>>> on
>>> the wireless laptop, the cabled connection to the desktop is unaffected.
>>> The laptop simply looses ability to connect over the internet, even
>>> though
>>> the wireless connection with the MN-700 remains. Again, restarting the
>>> laptop always restores the internet connectivity, so I sure would like
>>> know what is being "re-set" when I restart XP. How about it you MVP's?
>>> Got any ideas?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 19, 2005 4:43:38 PM

I have a similar problem with a wireless pc in the kitchen. I generally
disable the connection and then enable it. I'd like to see what others
propose to do. I am running a dlink router to a Microsoft wireless USB
attached to the kitchen computer.

Ted

!