Problems reinstalling Windows XP

OCuser

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
I'm helping my friend upgrade his computer, and I'm having problems reinstalling Windows XP. Since we replaced the motherboard I know you have to do a repair install of Windows XP or windows won't boot up, I've done this a few times before with other systems. But when there is about 34 minutes left of the install the computer just restarts, then tries reinstalling and restarts again at the same point. I even had the motherboard disk in the other CD-ROM during the install in case it needed the drives, but still the same thing happens. What is new in his sytem is:

Athlon Xp 2400+
geforce4 Ti4200 128MB
Epox EP-8RDA+

This is all new stuff and is not OCed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
The computer has to restart to finish the install.
Don't let it boot from the cd when it reboots. You can either change the bios to boot from the hard drive first, or, when it asks you "Press Any Key To Boot From CD" don't press anything. The computer has to boot from the hard drive to finish the installation.

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid,
then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!

OCuser

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
It's not booting from the CD when the problem happens. The system is booting from the HDD when it is trying to finish the install, I know that. It's when it is in the middle of doing the rest of the install it restarts on me.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Have you tried taking everything except what is neccesary out of the computer. Just use hard drive, RAM, and video.
It sounds like windows isn't properly identifying something during the install.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I really didn't think I would find anything, but I looked anyways.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811267" target="_new">Setup Stops While Installing Drivers</A>

It sounds similar to your problem, but not exactly. So, I guess I didn't really find anything after all. :tongue: