TECH: Lunar Lander Problems

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2005 7:33:22 AM

I have a Lunar Lander that seems to have two problems. The first problem
involves the game not accepting a coin, but free play works fine. The
second problem involves the 3KHz and 6KHz sounds being very faint compared
to the rumbling of the thrust sound. The sound is faint even at max volume.

Problem #1 Background:
Basically, when I toggle the coin microswitches multiple times ~ 5-10 times
at least, a new game doesn't start. Also, the coin counter doesn't toggle
when the microswitch is toggled.

I have verified the DIP switches are correct. The game displays "Insert
Coin" so I know the motherboard is seeing the DIP switch configuration. I
also have placed the game in test mode and verified that the game recognizes
the coin microswitches being toggled. So I know the wiring harness is
connected correctly to the motherboard from the coin door.

Note that when the DIP switch is set to "free play" the game works fine.
Also, game diagnostics pass and show that only one credit is needed per
game. Any ideas? Is it possible that this is a ROM issue?

Problem #2 Background:
I can faintly hear the 3KHz and 6KHz sounds which are used for "Low Fuel"
and diagnostics. This is when the volume is all the way up. The volume is
high enough to cause the cabinet to rumble when the lander thrusters are
fired. From the schematics, the gain of the 3KHz and 6KHz sounds are really
reduced compared to all other sounds. I believe the gain is about 1/39 out
of the summing amplifier R7 compared to 1/2 that comes from the other
sounds. Is this normal for the sound to be so faint? The only other
conclusion I can make is that the Audio/Regulator board is filtering out the
higher audio frequencies of the game. I used an o-scope at the audio1 and
audio2 testpoints as well as at the SPKR1 and SPKR2 testpoints and find the
amplitude of each channel is roughly the same (and inverted). So that seems
to check out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Ron
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:52:05 AM

One problem down and one to go. The coin problem turned out to be the slam
switch on the coin door. This switch is a normally OPEN switch and the two
leafs of the switch were touching making the credit switches inoperable.
Thanks Jeff!!!

-Ron

!