Hard Drive troubles? MAME to the rescue....

Last response: in Video Games
March 30, 2005 11:38:49 PM

Found this on www.aarongiles.com and just used it to replace the bad
drive on my area 51/maximum force DUO. I guess I can get rid of DOLLY
and ghost now. chdman.exe is included in most distributions of MAME.

Can I use chdman to put a CHD file back onto a hard disk?

Yes you can, at least under Windows. You have to be logged in as
administrator, and you have to know which physical volume your target
hard disk is mapped as. The easiest way to do that on Windows XP and
later is to right click on My Computer and select Manage from the menu.
In the Computer Management window, in the tree on the lefthand side,
select Disk Management. That will show you a list of all the physical
hard disks you have plugged in. They will be listed as "Disk 0", "Disk
1", etc. Make a note of which disk number your target hard disk is.

Once you've done that, it's easy to "image" the CHD file onto the disk.
Just use the following syntax:

chdman -extract imagename.chd \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEn

where "imagename.chd" is the name of the CHD file, and the "n" next to
PHYSICALDRIVE is the disk number you figured out above.

This technique has been used by several people to restore dead hard
drives on arcade games. Note that you can also use chdman to create a
backup of a hard disk image in much the same way:

chdman -createhd \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEn imagename.chd

Which is how most of the CHD images have been created.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:08:12 AM

Thanks! Great info. Wish I had it last year when my Gauntlet Legneds
went down, but still its great info to have.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:58:06 PM

wow... that makes things easier...

!