  • Desktops
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 17, 2005 7:24:01 AM

Hi, Problem for the last few weeks. Two PCs networked via ADSL modem router.
In My network folder on the desktop there is nothing. When I set it up there
was the desktop shared folders and also the desktop PC and the laptop which
is on the same workgroup.

The Laptop works okay and can send and open files on the desktop with it. I
can ping both PCs each way.

Firewalls not the problem.

Also when i explore the desktop Hard drive there is nothing after entire
network and that is blank.

I can ping both computers and net view \\ (name) works but net view
\\(ipaddress) doesnt.

I'm looking at a registry problem. What does anyone think?

More about : network places empty

July 17, 2005 11:07:01 AM

"Norm" wrote:

> Hi, Problem for the last few weeks. Two PCs networked via ADSL modem router.
> In My network folder on the desktop there is nothing. When I set it up there
> was the desktop shared folders and also the desktop PC and the laptop which
> is on the same workgroup.
>
> The Laptop works okay and can send and open files on the desktop with it. I
> can ping both PCs each way.
>
> Firewalls not the problem.
>
> Also when i explore the desktop Hard drive there is nothing after entire
> network and that is blank.
>
> I can ping both computers and net view \\ (name) works but net view
> \\(ipaddress) doesnt.
>
> I'm looking at a registry problem. What does anyone think?
Update: the computer browser wasnt started and it wouldn't. I found a
registry key missing and sorted that out.
Servers running and computer browser and workstation. I have renames all pcs
on the network but still cnat see anything in the desktop my network.

July 19, 2005 6:55:02 AM

"Norm" wrote:

> Hi, Problem for the last few weeks. Two PCs networked via ADSL modem router.
> In My network folder on the desktop there is nothing. When I set it up there
> was the desktop shared folders and also the desktop PC and the laptop which
> is on the same workgroup.
>
> The Laptop works okay and can send and open files on the desktop with it. I
> can ping both PCs each way.
>
> Firewalls not the problem.
>
> Also when i explore the desktop Hard drive there is nothing after entire
> network and that is blank.
>
> I can ping both computers and net view \\ (name) works but net view
> \\(ipaddress) doesnt.
>
> I'm looking at a registry problem. What does anyone think?

OK sorted,

If your interested heres what i did, Might help in the future.

The computer browser wasnt working as well as the server and workstation in
services.

There was a line missing from the registry folder Lanmanserver. Put that
right and the services kicked in.

Then went to network connections in properties then uninstalled everything
except internet protocol (it wouldn't let me). Reinstalled them and set
folders to share again and up and running.

I don't know what caused it, just a PC thing I guess.

Related resources
July 19, 2005 6:56:01 AM

"Norm" wrote:

> Hi, Problem for the last few weeks. Two PCs networked via ADSL modem router.
> In My network folder on the desktop there is nothing. When I set it up there
> was the desktop shared folders and also the desktop PC and the laptop which
> is on the same workgroup.
>
> The Laptop works okay and can send and open files on the desktop with it. I
> can ping both PCs each way.
>
> Firewalls not the problem.
>
> Also when i explore the desktop Hard drive there is nothing after entire
> network and that is blank.
>
> I can ping both computers and net view \\ (name) works but net view
> \\(ipaddress) doesnt.
>
> I'm looking at a registry problem. What does anyone think?

OK sorted,

If your interested heres what i did, Might help in the future.

The computer browser wasnt working as well as the server and workstation in
services.

There was a line missing from the registry folder Lanmanserver. Put that
right and the services kicked in.

Then went to network connections in properties then uninstalled everything
except internet protocol (it wouldn't let me). Reinstalled them and set
folders to share again and up and running.

I don't know what caused it, just a PC thing I guess.

February 20, 2008 5:45:14 AM

LSP winsock2 problem? There is an excellent program that is NOT just for "dead networks". Others having network problems with My Network Places, Network Neighborhood, or random ISP boots, might try a program called WinsockxpFix.exe
http://files.snapfiles.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe

I am not sure if this program has been mentioned to cure lingering problems in XP whereby certain communication programs would stop Internet Activity and/or Workgroups all together and "stop playing nice".

My Network Places was acting strange to say the least, MsHome would show no computers, then I get one network working, and another would quit working. Many, many hours later (and I just fixed this 2 months ago on a different HD), I would have random boots from my DSL, comm. programs like PG2 and Protowall would work, then crash, or install one, and network is dead, etc.

Now, 2 months later a virus wipes out my C: partition (thanks again Norton Corp 10 for saving me <coughs>), anyway, before I get too off track, in my failed, miserable attempt, I uninstalled Client for Microsoft Networks, Printer Sharing under Network Properties, and I actually got it working for awhile (or so I thought). I managed to go into the long hard job of "trying" to remove OLD network cards still lingering in my registry (still binded to Protowall Miniport). After hours and hours, I finally used this program again as a last resort, and all is super-duper again, XP networks r up and running, with My Network Places actually showing all my computers under MSHOME. Hope this helps just one person...
February 21, 2008 5:23:38 PM

jezus way to bump a 3 year old post, but ok..
February 22, 2008 2:39:00 AM

Mostly turned out to be Protowall's Driver killing my network after applying the winsockfix so had to uninstall that first from Network Connections, and then once i did that, my Panda AV was wanting to muck it up again by reinstalling my LSP, but once I uninstalled Panda and reinstalled, all is back to normal again. So when you use Winsockfixes or the XP command: netsh winsock reset under Run, CMD they say you may have to reinstall AV or Firewalls that protect winsock... Glad i finally woke up and did that, cuz I was going around in circles!!!

LOL at previous poster, 3 years ago was just yesterday for XP.
Anonymous
March 12, 2010 10:21:39 AM

WinsockxpFix.exe WORKED! Thank you very much!
January 4, 2014 8:41:03 PM

I just wanted to thank Norm, who wrote nine years ago:

> Then went to network connections in properties then uninstalled everything except internet protocol (it wouldn't let me). Reinstalled them and set folders to share again and up and running.
I don't know what caused it, just a PC thing I guess.

Thanks. That worked for me, and it's always nice when the answer is found. My problem was that one day, "My Network Places" was suddenly completely empty. A darned PC thing.

As Norm suggested, I uninstalled everything that I was permitted to in my wifi properties, which also uninstalled everything possible in my ethernet properties.

(Right-click on My Network Places and select Properties, then right click on your ethernet or wifi connection and select Properties. Then, in the General tab, uninstall everything you can. For me, that was everything except TCP/IP.)

Each uninstallation asks you to restart the computer. Don't do it. Just say No.

Finish uninstalling everything you can. When the last thing is uninstalled, then you can restart the computer.

When the computer is restarted, go back and click on "Install..." and install everything. Everything that you can in Client, Service, and Protocol. I installed everything, except something having to do with "Advertisements."

That brought back My Network. But I could only see the computer I was using.

So, the last step was to go into the firewall and uncheck the file-sharing box.

Then, the rest of the computers on the network showed up. Back to normal, which is always nice, thanks.