removing disk compression?

the disk cleanup wizard has compressed my drive a while ago due to low
space, i cant find any coloured files to identify theyre compressed though

my system is slow, how do i uncompress them?

cheers
rob
4 answers Last reply
More about removing disk compression

    Open MY Computer icon on Desktop and rightclick your "C"
    drive/click Properties. Bottom of window uncheck "Compress
    drive to save disk space". Click Apply and OK
    Coloured files listing in Windows Explorer are hidden files. To see them,
    do this: Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab
    scroll down to and tick "Show hidden files and folders".
    Click Apply and OK.

    "Mr Rob" wrote:

    > the disk cleanup wizard has compressed my drive a while ago due to low
    > space, i cant find any coloured files to identify theyre compressed though
    >
    > my system is slow, how do i uncompress them?
    >
    > cheers
    > rob

    On a default setup, file names in BLUE are compressed files, not hidden
    files. Hidden files are in the same color as normal files (Again, on a
    default color scheme, other schemes may differ). The only difference
    between regular files and hidden files is a lighter color than a normal
    icon.

    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Open MY Computer icon on Desktop and rightclick your "C"
    > drive/click Properties. Bottom of window uncheck "Compress
    > drive to save disk space". Click Apply and OK
    > Coloured files listing in Windows Explorer are hidden files. To see them,
    > do this: Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab
    > scroll down to and tick "Show hidden files and folders".
    > Click Apply and OK.
    >
    > "Mr Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > the disk cleanup wizard has compressed my drive a while ago due to low
    > > space, i cant find any coloured files to identify theyre compressed
    though

    > > my system is slow, how do i uncompress them?
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > rob

    when i check properties there is no check in the tickbox, but im certain it
    performed the process and some defrag applications show compressed sectors.
    My defrag opperations complete with high fragmentation still which is odd.

    any ideas?
    cheers

    rob

    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Open MY Computer icon on Desktop and rightclick your "C"
    > drive/click Properties. Bottom of window uncheck "Compress
    > drive to save disk space". Click Apply and OK
    > Coloured files listing in Windows Explorer are hidden files. To see them,
    > do this: Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab
    > scroll down to and tick "Show hidden files and folders".
    > Click Apply and OK.
    >
    > "Mr Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > the disk cleanup wizard has compressed my drive a while ago due to low
    > > space, i cant find any coloured files to identify theyre compressed
    though

    > > my system is slow, how do i uncompress them?
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > rob

  4. Use the command 'compact'.

    This will tell you what is compacted/compressed or not, and has options to un-compact files and directories.

Disk Cleanup Microsoft Compression Windows XP