Windows XP Home freezes on startup and locks at a "blue sc..

Windows won't load and says it is missing "wnsrv" and needs to be
reinstalled. It locks and gives me a blue screen. I can't get into Windows
to to a restore. I tried doing a restore from the utility CD that came from
Dell, but it asks for an Administrator password at the command prompt. I
never put a password on it and I can't get around it to perform a simple
restore. There is family genealogy information that is NOT backed up and I
would like to save that information in case I have to do a complete format
and reload. But, I can't get past that command prompt administrator password
1 answer Last reply
More about windows home freezes startup locks blue

    Hi

    When you next start the PC, keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access
    a screen that has 'Last Known Good Configuration' as an option. See if you
    can access Windows using that option.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Dave Cochran" <DaveCochran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows won't load and says it is missing "wnsrv" and needs to be
    > reinstalled. It locks and gives me a blue screen. I can't get into
    > Windows
    > to to a restore. I tried doing a restore from the utility CD that came
    > from
    > Dell, but it asks for an Administrator password at the command prompt. I
    > never put a password on it and I can't get around it to perform a simple
    > restore. There is family genealogy information that is NOT backed up and
    > would like to save that information in case I have to do a complete format
    > and reload. But, I can't get past that command prompt administrator
    > password

Command Prompt Windows XP