Windows XP Home freezes on startup and locks at a "blue sc..

Windows won't load and says it is missing "wnsrv" and needs to be
reinstalled. It locks and gives me a blue screen. I can't get into Windows
to to a restore. I tried doing a restore from the utility CD that came from
Dell, but it asks for an Administrator password at the command prompt. I
never put a password on it and I can't get around it to perform a simple
restore. There is family genealogy information that is NOT backed up and I
would like to save that information in case I have to do a complete format
and reload. But, I can't get past that command prompt administrator password

Hi

When you next start the PC, keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access
a screen that has 'Last Known Good Configuration' as an option. See if you
can access Windows using that option.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User