Restore?

I restored my computer to factory settings. My question is do I need to
download SP1 or what do I need to do. Scared to download SP2 hearing and
reading all kind of bad things in the forums about it. I use Zone firewall
with Mcafee virus protection. Spybot, adware, spyware dr., and I use
webwasher. I update my system daily. Is there anything else I need to do.
Trying to learn, Please be patient with a newbie. Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about restore

    Hi

    Have you been to Windows Update to see exactly what needs to bo downloaded?
    I think you'll find you will be offered SP2 and not SP1. If you have an SP1
    CD, then you can install that.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I restored my computer to factory settings. My question is do I need to
    > download SP1 or what do I need to do. Scared to download SP2 hearing and
    > reading all kind of bad things in the forums about it. I use Zone firewall
    > with Mcafee virus protection. Spybot, adware, spyware dr., and I use
    > webwasher. I update my system daily. Is there anything else I need to do.
    > Trying to learn, Please be patient with a newbie. Thanks

    Thanks for your quick response. I don't have a SP1 disc, when it was avaible
    I downloaded it from microsoft on their site. Is there anywhere to download
    it from now? I've seen your name alot on the forum . This leads me to belive
    that you are very up to date on computers and their functions. Do you think
    SP2 is a good thing to put on windows xp pro? I only know what I read in the
    forums, and do you use SP2 on your system? Thanks

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have you been to Windows Update to see exactly what needs to bo downloaded?
    > I think you'll find you will be offered SP2 and not SP1. If you have an SP1
    > CD, then you can install that.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I restored my computer to factory settings. My question is do I need to
    > > download SP1 or what do I need to do. Scared to download SP2 hearing and
    > > reading all kind of bad things in the forums about it. I use Zone firewall
    > > with Mcafee virus protection. Spybot, adware, spyware dr., and I use
    > > webwasher. I update my system daily. Is there anything else I need to do.
    > > Trying to learn, Please be patient with a newbie. Thanks

    Hi

    SP1/a can be downloaded from here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx

    I've had no problems with SP2. The following articles are very useful for a
    SP2 pre-installation:

    "Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_introtosp2.mspx

    "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    So long as your SP1/a system is running properly - you shold be OK with SP2.
    Before installing SP2, run Defrag, Disk Cleanup, your Anti virus and spyware
    programs. Then before you install SP2 disable your Anti Virus program.

    --

    > Thanks for your quick response. I don't have a SP1 disc, when it was
    > avaible
    > I downloaded it from microsoft on their site. Is there anywhere to
    > download
    > it from now? I've seen your name alot on the forum . This leads me to
    > belive
    > that you are very up to date on computers and their functions. Do you
    > think
    > SP2 is a good thing to put on windows xp pro? I only know what I read in
    > the
    > forums, and do you use SP2 on your system? Thanks
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Have you been to Windows Update to see exactly what needs to bo
    >> downloaded?
    >> I think you'll find you will be offered SP2 and not SP1. If you have an
    >> SP1
    >> CD, then you can install that.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I restored my computer to factory settings. My question is do I need to
    >> > download SP1 or what do I need to do. Scared to download SP2 hearing
    >> > and
    >> > reading all kind of bad things in the forums about it. I use Zone
    >> > firewall
    >> > with Mcafee virus protection. Spybot, adware, spyware dr., and I use
    >> > webwasher. I update my system daily. Is there anything else I need to
    >> > do.
    >> > Trying to learn, Please be patient with a newbie. Thanks

    I downloaded SP1 and I want to take the time to thank all of you that helped
    me with my problem.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > SP1/a can be downloaded from here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx
    >
    > I've had no problems with SP2. The following articles are very useful for a
    > SP2 pre-installation:
    >
    > "Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_introtosp2.mspx
    >
    > "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    >
    > So long as your SP1/a system is running properly - you shold be OK with SP2.
    > Before installing SP2, run Defrag, Disk Cleanup, your Anti virus and spyware
    > programs. Then before you install SP2 disable your Anti Virus program.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your quick response. I don't have a SP1 disc, when it was
    > > avaible
    > > I downloaded it from microsoft on their site. Is there anywhere to
    > > download
    > > it from now? I've seen your name alot on the forum . This leads me to
    > > belive
    > > that you are very up to date on computers and their functions. Do you
    > > think
    > > SP2 is a good thing to put on windows xp pro? I only know what I read in
    > > the
    > > forums, and do you use SP2 on your system? Thanks
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Have you been to Windows Update to see exactly what needs to bo
    > >> downloaded?
    > >> I think you'll find you will be offered SP2 and not SP1. If you have an
    > >> SP1
    > >> CD, then you can install that.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Does anyone know where I can download a copy of index.dat file 85kb
    I use windows xp pro, will a copy from ME work. Trying to get my system
    information to open instead of Help & Support. I don't know anyone with
    windows xp pro, I am disabled and don't get out of the house much. Thanks
    again for all your help.

Windows XP