Internet Connection Sharing

Good day,

I have a DSL cable modem hooked up to the wall using coaxial cable and to my
computer using ethernet cable. I'm sharing the connection with another
computer using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and it's working just fine.
(I have WinXP SP2).

I want a 2nd computer to use the connection, however, before getting into
the trouble of buying a switch/hub, is there a way that if i have 3 network
cards on my PC (that is acting like a server) to configure some kind of a
link/bridge between the network card used by the first computer using my
connection and the second computer that i want it to use the internet
connection? a configuration maybe or a thrid party utility ... ?

Thanks and regards.

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm no expert but this sounds like a situation that will cause all sorts of
conflicts on the "server" computer not to mention security problems. I think
you'd be better off buying a router which would include a firewall.

Mikey

P.S. This newsgroup deals with Microsoft broadband HARDWARE so your post
would be better dealt with in a general networking newsgroup.
"ahamami" <ahamami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good day,
>
> I have a DSL cable modem hooked up to the wall using coaxial cable and to
> my
> computer using ethernet cable. I'm sharing the connection with another
> computer using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and it's working just
> fine.
> (I have WinXP SP2).
>
> I want a 2nd computer to use the connection, however, before getting into
> the trouble of buying a switch/hub, is there a way that if i have 3
> network
> cards on my PC (that is acting like a server) to configure some kind of a
> link/bridge between the network card used by the first computer using my
> connection and the second computer that i want it to use the internet
> connection? a configuration maybe or a thrid party utility ... ?
>
> Thanks and regards.

A router would be cheaper over the long run, easier to manage, and more
secure.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User