Why two optical drives?

I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about optical drives

    "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com> wrote in message
    >I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
    >the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
    >Thanks.

    Thats about it, aside from having a faster CDROM drive. I presume the DVD-RW
    also burns CD's? What about CDRW's?

    -NuTs

    "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com> wrote:
    >I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
    >the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?

    Some of the Does-It-All drives are _really_ slow with (say) CD-RW
    disks, IME.

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:09 -0500, "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com>
    wrote:

    >I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
    >the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
    >Thanks.

    Most DVD-ROM drive will rip faster than the burner. If that matters
    to you.

    Some people also prefer to save wear and tear on the buner with a
    second drive. With the cost of drives dropping, that's less of a
    concern, IMO.

    Dave

    DVD-ROM drives are read-only. You must mean DVD+/- R/W.

    In normal use, a DVD drive does not "wear out".

    Ted Zieglar

    "Dave" <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:09 -0500, "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
    >>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Most DVD-ROM drive will rip faster than the burner. If that matters
    > to you.
    >
    > Some people also prefer to save wear and tear on the buner with a
    > second drive. With the cost of drives dropping, that's less of a
    > concern, IMO.
    >
    > Dave

    No, I meant DVD-ROM.

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:10:53 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >DVD-ROM drives are read-only. You must mean DVD+/- R/W.
    >
    >In normal use, a DVD drive does not "wear out".
    >
    >Ted Zieglar
    >
    >"Dave" <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:09 -0500, "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
    >>>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Most DVD-ROM drive will rip faster than the burner. If that matters
    >> to you.
    >>
    >> Some people also prefer to save wear and tear on the buner with a
    >> second drive. With the cost of drives dropping, that's less of a
    >> concern, IMO.
    >>
    >> Dave

Dell DVD RW Optical Media Computers