It's nice they're archiving material, but $4 to download a scan of an
old magazine? 25 cents and I would have thought about it.

Hard to believe it cost them much in licensing for 20 year old
magazines from probably defunct publishers.

Seth
pgh, pa

yeah i didn't realize that until after i posted it..
blah.

k.

<this_will_be_deleted_use_other_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It's nice they're archiving material, but $4 to download a scan of an
> old magazine? 25 cents and I would have thought about it.
>
> Hard to believe it cost them much in licensing for 20 year old
> magazines from probably defunct publishers.
>
> Seth
> pgh, pa

What does a magazine on a newsstand cost today to purchase? I believe it's
around $4. I agree that the price could be lower, but 25-cents would be
ridiculous. I'd think even $2.50 is a deal.

Just my opinion...

Bill

> It's nice they're archiving material, but $4 to download a scan of an
> old magazine? 25 cents and I would have thought about it.
>
> Hard to believe it cost them much in licensing for 20 year old
> magazines from probably defunct publishers.
>
> Seth
> pgh, pa

mo

What are you talking about? Magazines today cost about $4-5. That
cost is a result of the material as well as the work that goes into
making it. Online has neither the physical material cost nor the cost
of creating the material. It's been done. They should be charging
about $.50 max or maybe a monthly fee of $5 or a subscription fee to
make this worth it. The reality is this stuff is out there like ROMS
and people can grab scans for free anyway.

> I would be insulted to only have a 50-cent charge for all the work
that
> I would need to do.

Well, hopefully they intend to sell more than one download per issue.
And I'd wager they'd sell multiples more if they weren't charging quite
so much.

Just my 25¢.

Seth

Online DOES have physical material cost AND the creation cost to be
considered. Yeah, the magazine is printed, but back then they were NOT
created on a computer. You just can't wave a magic fairy wand or sprinkle
pixie dust to get it into the computer. They will have to be scanned in and
then a PDF will need to be made. Not a quick, easy task. If I was doing
it, I would be insulted to only have a 50-cent charge for all the work that
I would need to do. Take the time yourself to scan in a magazine and make a
PDF out of it and see how much time it takes.

Now, let's add in the monthly cost someone pays to host these files.
There's not much cost for that, but add it up over time.

$2.50 would still seem fair to me. There is a LOT of work that will need to
be done for it to be available online, believe it or not.

Bill
Working in the printing industry, it just irritates me how people underplay
the work involved in print and converting it to digital format.

> What are you talking about? Magazines today cost about $4-5. That
> cost is a result of the material as well as the work that goes into
> making it. Online has neither the physical material cost nor the cost
> of creating the material. It's been done. They should be charging
> about $.50 max or maybe a monthly fee of $5 or a subscription fee to
> make this worth it. The reality is this stuff is out there like ROMS
> and people can grab scans for free anyway.

mo

Bill,

I'm not saying it's not hard, but come on! Writing the articles in the
first place is the hard part. Scanning a magazine? Have you seen the
crazy amounts of scanned stuff that is out there for free? It takes
like 5 minutes to scan a magazine, trust me I've done it. I'm not
trying to change your mind, just saying that it's not going to make
them any money unless they lower the cost.

Mo

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I do know that to scan
and create a digital version of a magazine PROPERLY and with QUALITY, it
takes a bit more than 5 minutes per magazine. A single page scanned in
color would be quite a few megs. Add up all the pages, and you would
probably get a few hundred megs of scans. Clean them all up and adjust them
in Photoshop, resave them out, create an assembled document in something
like Quark, make a PDF of all the pages, assemble all the PDFs into one
document... Quite a bit of time per magazine. Heck, more than 5 minutes
per page.

I will agree that a lower cost will definitely yield a higher return. (Gee,
why can't the gasoline companies remember that?) $4 is on the high side,
but I would still think that 25- or 50-cents would be too low. As you said
earlier, a monthly subscription fee would probably be a better choice.

Bill

> Bill,
>
> I'm not saying it's not hard, but come on! Writing the articles in the
> first place is the hard part. Scanning a magazine? Have you seen the
> crazy amounts of scanned stuff that is out there for free? It takes
> like 5 minutes to scan a magazine, trust me I've done it. I'm not
> trying to change your mind, just saying that it's not going to make
> them any money unless they lower the cost.
>
> Mo

mo

OK, you are right, to do a great scan job would take a lot longer. I
just scanned some comics (no retouching) and it did take about 10 min
so I agree with you that the level of scanning you are talking about
would take a lot more time (if they did all that stuff). But, I guess
what I'm saying is it's not going to sell. Thanks for putting up a
good argument (and changing my mind) without getting nasty! Mo

Hahaha! I like a good, clean, friendly argument where both sides are shown
well. You showed your side without being nasty, too, and I do agree: $4 a
download won't sell. You had an excellent idea with the monthly
subscription fee...

Bill
We're all in this addiction, er, hobby together so it's great when we can
all get along so well. :)