default action on folder click

XP Home Ver. 2002 SP2

OPEN is no longer the default action when clicking on a folder. I have to
right click the folder and choose OPEN from the list. How can I make OPEN the
default action again?

Background: I added an action for the File Folder file type that prints out
a listing of the folder. The action at the top of the list of File Folder
actions became the new default. I did not select Set Default. There is no
Open action in that list. I would like to keep the new Print Listing action
but want Open to be the default again.
2 answers Last reply
More about default action folder click

    Tom, See this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379
    See the "Edit the registry" section. This will solve your problem.

    "Tom Ahasic" wrote:

    > XP Home Ver. 2002 SP2
    >
    > OPEN is no longer the default action when clicking on a folder. I have to
    > right click the folder and choose OPEN from the list. How can I make OPEN the
    > default action again?
    >
    > Background: I added an action for the File Folder file type that prints out
    > a listing of the folder. The action at the top of the list of File Folder
    > actions became the new default. I did not select Set Default. There is no
    > Open action in that list. I would like to keep the new Print Listing action
    > but want Open to be the default again.

    Tom,

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tom Ahasic" <Tom Ahasic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Home Ver. 2002 SP2
    >
    > OPEN is no longer the default action when clicking on a folder. I have to
    > right click the folder and choose OPEN from the list. How can I make OPEN
    > the
    > default action again?
    >
    > Background: I added an action for the File Folder file type that prints
    > out
    > a listing of the folder. The action at the top of the list of File Folder
    > actions became the new default. I did not select Set Default. There is no
    > Open action in that list. I would like to keep the new Print Listing
    > action
    > but want Open to be the default again.

Default Support Microsoft Windows XP