recovery after crash

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
is there a way to "save" all the client and server information from a server, so if a server crashes and it has to be re-installed, it will be very easy to get up and running very quickly?....

i use w2k-AS for the server and w2k-pro for the clients...

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Is it a home network or company's network? If it's a home network with less than 4 PCs, GHOST those puppies and put the images on a CD or backup the data to a zip disk.

A burned software is not pirated software, it is shareware. :wink:

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
it is for my office...

we have around 8 computers running at any given time, but total of 10-12 computers as clients, and 1 server..

thx

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
for the server, you can make an emergency repair disk, see the help file for instruction. not sure what you want to back up though.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
we back up the data files on a separate hard drive and burn a cd every week or so...

but, i would like to back up the "server configuration"..

otherwise, if the server computer crashes again, i will spend a good while re-entering all the users and their privileges, and re-doing all the shared folders, and re-allocating permissions...

so, will the "emergency repair disk" save this type of info?....

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
In this case, what you need is a tape backup. You can purchase a tape drive and get some blank tapes and do a backup daily, weekly, monthly and maybe yearly, depends on how sensitive your information is. It doesn't have to be top of the line tape drvie. For server configuration, you can do a GHOST image. What it does is that it duplicates your current desktop settings. If your server crash, you can reload the image that you ghosted and all your original settings and configurations will be there.

A burned software is not pirated software, it is shareware. :wink: