Reformatting, partitioning and reinstalling OS

Hello, All!

I have a new Dimension 3000. I would like to fdisk the drive to make it into
2 or 3 partitions and reinstall the XP Home software w/o all of the other
'stuff' that Dell provides. I have the XP Home Dell disk that came with the
hardware.

Questions:
Do I need another disk for drivers, etc. are is the XP disk sufficient for
the task?
If other drivers are necessary, where does on get them and what are they?
Anyone here done this? If so, what was your procedure (i.e. sequence of
actions)?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Are you familiar with Partition Magic?

I'm always amused by people who would rather go to the trouble of a clean
install instead of using Add or Remove Programs.

Ted Zieglar

> Are you familiar with Partition Magic?
>
> I'm always amused by people who would rather go to the trouble of a clean
> install instead of using Add or Remove Programs.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> I have a new Dimension 3000. I would like to fdisk the drive to make it
>> into
>> 2 or 3 partitions and reinstall the XP Home software w/o all of the other
>> 'stuff' that Dell provides. I have the XP Home Dell disk that came with
>> the
>> hardware.
>>
>> Questions:
>> Do I need another disk for drivers, etc. are is the XP disk sufficient
>> for
>> the task?
>> If other drivers are necessary, where does on get them and what are they?
>> Anyone here done this? If so, what was your procedure (i.e. sequence of
>> actions)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Colonel Blip.
>> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You should have recieved the Drivers on a CD with your new machine THEY ARE
NOT on the XP home disk, if you dont have the drivers disk then if you put
the tag number in on the Dell website it will list all the drivers you need,
best thing is to download the lot, burn em to a cd but rename them before
burning so you know what they are. You must install the chipset drivers 1st
before you install any of the others and you must reboot the machine before
installling the other drivers as well
> Hello, All!
>
> I have a new Dimension 3000. I would like to fdisk the drive to make it
> into
> 2 or 3 partitions and reinstall the XP Home software w/o all of the other
> 'stuff' that Dell provides. I have the XP Home Dell disk that came with
> the
> hardware.
>
> Questions:
> Do I need another disk for drivers, etc. are is the XP disk sufficient for
> the task?
> If other drivers are necessary, where does on get them and what are they?
> Anyone here done this? If so, what was your procedure (i.e. sequence of
> actions)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colonel Blip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Hello, Ted!
You wrote on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:14:28 -0500:

TZ> Are you familiar with Partition Magic?

TZ> I'm always amused by people who would rather go to the trouble of a
TZ> clean install instead of using Add or Remove Programs.

TZ> Ted Zieglar

TZ> "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote in message
??>> Hello, All!

Happy to provide amusement. <g>

Yes. It is what I've always used for this kind of task. Unfortunately it
doesn't run on XP (my version is on 5).

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

You are easily amused.......

> Are you familiar with Partition Magic?
>
> I'm always amused by people who would rather go to the trouble of a clean
> install instead of using Add or Remove Programs.

"Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:

>Hello, Ted!
>You wrote on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:14:28 -0500:
>
> TZ> Are you familiar with Partition Magic?

>Yes. It is what I've always used for this kind of task. Unfortunately it
>doesn't run on XP (my version is on 5).

Yep. PM5 was fine for Win9x, but ME required a new version, PM6,
and XP another new one, PM7. Didn't blink my eyes at having to
upgrade, either time. They're up to PM8, and, IMO, worth every
penny, although I'm still at 7.
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello, Ted!
> >You wrote on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:14:28 -0500:
> >
> > TZ> Are you familiar with Partition Magic?
>
> >Yes. It is what I've always used for this kind of task. Unfortunately it
> >doesn't run on XP (my version is on 5).
>
> Yep. PM5 was fine for Win9x, but ME required a new version, PM6,
> and XP another new one, PM7. Didn't blink my eyes at having to
> upgrade, either time. They're up to PM8, and, IMO, worth every
> penny, although I'm still at 7.

Just as a side note, since Symantec bought out Powerquest, it's now
"Norton Partition Magic."

Notan

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:33:51 -0600, "Colonel Blip"
<colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:

>Hello, All!
>
>I have a new Dimension 3000. I would like to fdisk the drive to make it into
>2 or 3 partitions and reinstall the XP Home software w/o all of the other
>'stuff' that Dell provides. I have the XP Home Dell disk that came with the
>hardware.
>
>Questions:
>Do I need another disk for drivers, etc. are is the XP disk sufficient for
>the task?
>If other drivers are necessary, where does on get them and what are they?
>Anyone here done this? If so, what was your procedure (i.e. sequence of
>actions)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colonel Blip.
>E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

I did a reinstall recently, and didn't need a drivers disk, except for
SATA. Windows should be able to find them on the net for you.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Hello, Paul!
You wrote on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:56:45 -0800:

PK> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:33:51 -0600, "Colonel Blip"
PK> <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:

PK> I did a reinstall recently, and didn't need a drivers disk, except for
PK> SATA. Windows should be able to find them on the net for you.
PK> --
PK> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
PK> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

I've d/l'ed them so I have them if needed. Next, since I've installed a
bunch of stuff I've got to decide to make the changes before I get too lazy!
<g>