Slow Rt Click w/XpSp2 + Novell Client

Hi,

I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc has
512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.

I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix for
it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any reference to
this problem.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jeff Burnette
3 answers Last reply
More about slow click xpsp2 novell client

    [[When you right-click a file/folder, there may be a huge delay (1 minute or
    more) before Windows displays the context menu]]

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    Windows XP SP2
    http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:A3E09D5C-0C8D-4D23-99AA-A9064EFDF259@microsoft.com,
    Geoff B <GeoffB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
    > for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
    > clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
    > gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
    > done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
    > nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
    > The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc
    > has 512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.
    >
    > I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
    > reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
    > wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix
    > for it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any
    > reference to this problem.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeff Burnette

    Hi Wes,

    I had already tried ShellExView. I tried some of the entries that I thought
    might be causing the problem but no change. Then I disabled the top 1/2
    ofthe list, and checked again, and still no change. Then I re enabled these
    and disabled the bottom half of the list, and still the problem persists.

    The slow right click I have experienced here is not related to having the
    network card installed. As long as I dont have a Novell Xp client installed,
    there is no problem. Its only when the Novell client is installed that this
    happens. It seems like somewhere in the past few days I tried an install
    with WinXP sp1 and didnt have the problem, but I have tried so many different
    combinations of things to flush out the problem I'm not absolutely sure.

    I am quite comfortable editing the registry. I'm guessing that somehow when
    the Novell client is added, maybe only for XpPro sp2, that a registry entry
    is changed that is being read to give the slow right clicks. But I dont know
    where in the registry to go for this particular setting.

    Thanks.
    Jeff

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > [[When you right-click a file/folder, there may be a huge delay (1 minute or
    > more) before Windows displays the context menu]]
    >
    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >
    > Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
    >
    > Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    > Windows XP SP2
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:A3E09D5C-0C8D-4D23-99AA-A9064EFDF259@microsoft.com,
    > Geoff B <GeoffB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
    > > for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
    > > clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
    > > gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
    > > done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
    > > nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
    > > The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc
    > > has 512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.
    > >
    > > I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
    > > reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
    > > wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix
    > > for it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any
    > > reference to this problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas??
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jeff Burnette

    Jeff,

    Try the instructions in the 2nd URL posted by Wesley. Perhaps that'll help.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

Novell Windows XP