Slow Rt Click w/XpSp2 + Novell Client

April 21, 2005 3:11:27 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc has
512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.

I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix for
it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any reference to
this problem.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jeff Burnette
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:03:59 PM

[[When you right-click a file/folder, there may be a huge delay (1 minute or
more) before Windows displays the context menu]]

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A3E09D5C-0C8D-4D23-99AA-A9064EFDF259@microsoft.com,
Geoff B <GeoffB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
> for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
> clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
> gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
> done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
> nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
> The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc
> has 512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.
>
> I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
> reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
> wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix
> for it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any
> reference to this problem.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Burnette
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:04:00 PM

Hi Wes,

I had already tried ShellExView. I tried some of the entries that I thought
might be causing the problem but no change. Then I disabled the top 1/2
ofthe list, and checked again, and still no change. Then I re enabled these
and disabled the bottom half of the list, and still the problem persists.

The slow right click I have experienced here is not related to having the
network card installed. As long as I dont have a Novell Xp client installed,
there is no problem. Its only when the Novell client is installed that this
happens. It seems like somewhere in the past few days I tried an install
with WinXP sp1 and didnt have the problem, but I have tried so many different
combinations of things to flush out the problem I'm not absolutely sure.

I am quite comfortable editing the registry. I'm guessing that somehow when
the Novell client is added, maybe only for XpPro sp2, that a registry entry
is changed that is being read to give the slow right clicks. But I dont know
where in the registry to go for this particular setting.

Thanks.
Jeff

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [[When you right-click a file/folder, there may be a huge delay (1 minute or
> more) before Windows displays the context menu]]
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> Windows XP SP2
> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A3E09D5C-0C8D-4D23-99AA-A9064EFDF259@microsoft.com,
> Geoff B <GeoffB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with 2 new identical pc's. Installing the Novell Client
> > for XP causes a long delay when menus are right clicked. For example,
> > clicking Start/Programs, and right clicking anything in the Program group
> > gives a delay of 24-18 seconds before the drop down menu appears. I have
> > done this on a fresh/pristing install of WinXP Pro Sp2 where absolutely
> > nothing else has been done to the pc after the initial install of Windows.
> > The mobos are Asus P4P800-MX, using Intel P4 2.2 Ghz processor. One pc
> > has 512 MB ram,the other has 1 GB ram. Both use the Intel 865GV chipset.
> >
> > I have installed Windows and tried different loading sequences, only to
> > reformat the drive and start over again. I've spent the last 3 days
> > wrestling with the problem. Has anyone seen this problem or have a fix
> > for it? I have checked the Novell knowledgebase and cant find any
> > reference to this problem.
> >
> > Any ideas??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff Burnette

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:59:38 AM

Jeff,

Try the instructions in the 2nd URL posted by Wesley. Perhaps that'll help.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!