Wireless Network Connection Properties

Hi,

In the Wireless Network Connection Properties box under the Wireless
Networks tab, there is a checkbox available for "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings." In the past this box was checked and stayed
checked all the time even if I rebooted, restarted, etc.. Starting a few days
ago whenever I reboot, startup, etc. by default this box is now always
unchecked and I have to go in and recheck it each time.

What's making this box uncheck itself and how do I get it to stay checked
again?

Thanks!
Mark

You might go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Service and make sure
Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and started. Then go back
and put the check mark in "Use Windows . . .", OK your way out and restart
your system to make sure it sticks.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Mark A. Huckaby" <mhuckaby@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In the Wireless Network Connection Properties box under the Wireless
> Networks tab, there is a checkbox available for "Use Windows to configure
> my
> wireless network settings." In the past this box was checked and stayed
> checked all the time even if I rebooted, restarted, etc.. Starting a few
> days
> ago whenever I reboot, startup, etc. by default this box is now always
> unchecked and I have to go in and recheck it each time.
>
> What's making this box uncheck itself and how do I get it to stay checked
> again?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

Thanks Chris, I checked those settings and they are correct and the checkmark
will not stick. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

"Chris H." wrote:

> You might go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Service and make sure
> Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and started. Then go back
> and put the check mark in "Use Windows . . .", OK your way out and restart
> your system to make sure it sticks.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Mark A. Huckaby" <mhuckaby@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the Wireless Network Connection Properties box under the Wireless
> > Networks tab, there is a checkbox available for "Use Windows to configure
> > my
> > wireless network settings." In the past this box was checked and stayed
> > checked all the time even if I rebooted, restarted, etc.. Starting a few
> > days
> > ago whenever I reboot, startup, etc. by default this box is now always
> > unchecked and I have to go in and recheck it each time.
> >
> > What's making this box uncheck itself and how do I get it to stay checked
> > again?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mark

Even without the Wireless Zero Configuration, you can configure the wireless
adapter manually for a fixed IP, using the device software. If you don't
have it handy, you can download it here: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
The Knowledge Base links should also help you for the specific device.
--

> Thanks Chris, I checked those settings and they are correct and the
> checkmark
> will not stick. Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> You might go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Service and make
>> sure
>> Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and started. Then go
>> back
>> and put the check mark in "Use Windows . . .", OK your way out and
>> restart
>> your system to make sure it sticks.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Mark A. Huckaby" <mhuckaby@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > In the Wireless Network Connection Properties box under the Wireless
>> > Networks tab, there is a checkbox available for "Use Windows to
>> > configure
>> > my
>> > wireless network settings." In the past this box was checked and stayed
>> > checked all the time even if I rebooted, restarted, etc.. Starting a
>> > few
>> > days
>> > ago whenever I reboot, startup, etc. by default this box is now always
>> > unchecked and I have to go in and recheck it each time.
>> >
>> > What's making this box uncheck itself and how do I get it to stay
>> > checked
>> > again?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Mark

Chris are you saying that I should set my latop wireless adapter to a fixed
IP and that if the checkmark unchecks itself, it won't matter?

Thanks

"Chris H." wrote:

> Even without the Wireless Zero Configuration, you can configure the wireless
> adapter manually for a fixed IP, using the device software. If you don't
> have it handy, you can download it here: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
> The Knowledge Base links should also help you for the specific device.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Mark A. Huckaby" <mhuckaby@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Chris, I checked those settings and they are correct and the
> > checkmark
> > will not stick. Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> You might go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Service and make
> >> sure
> >> Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and started. Then go
> >> back
> >> and put the check mark in "Use Windows . . .", OK your way out and
> >> restart
> >> your system to make sure it sticks.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "Mark A. Huckaby" <mhuckaby@nospam.com> wrote in message

I'm saying you can use the software for the adapter to "program" it, and the
built-in configuration tools in Windows XP won't matter. You're assigning
the numbers to the device, and avoiding having the base station do the DHCP
feed to it. It will stand on its own, once you give it a static IP, the
Gateway address (that's your base station IP) and the DNS numbers for your
ISP.

So, you have two ways to administer the device: Simple, using DHCP from the
base station and letting XP do its networking thing, or by manually putting
in all the numbers. The latter should hold just fine.