Changing my drive letters (Floppy A:, IDE C: CD-Rom D:)

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Help! I recently installed a new CD-RW drive in my computer. When I
re-started it, for the changes the take effect, it had changed my hard drive
letter to E: instead of C:, now everytime I want to download something, or
install a program, it tells me that it cannot find the path or that the disk
is full. How can I solve this problem or change the letters on the installed
drives so that my Hard Drive goes back to the default C:?

bar

I am amazed that a new Optical Device has been assigned drive letter C.

This drive letter is generally 'reserved' and is your system drive letter.

Also you have managed to move TWO drives ahead of the C Drive in terms of
priority.

Is your system disk a SATA or PATA disk?

If it is PATA, it should be installed on the first IDE interface adapter of
the motherboard, it should be jumpered as MASTER and if there is a second
device [Hard Drive or Optical Drive] on the same IDE cable the second device
should be jumpered as SLAVE.
The 'new' CD should be on the second IDE interface adapter of the
motherboard, it should be jumpered as MASTER.

If it is a SATA hard drive, then you'll need to check in the Mobo Manual to
ensure that you have identified the SATA adapter as the primary boot device.

"Frank" wrote:

> Help! I recently installed a new CD-RW drive in my computer. When I
> re-started it, for the changes the take effect, it had changed my hard drive
> letter to E: instead of C:, now everytime I want to download something, or
> install a program, it tells me that it cannot find the path or that the disk
> is full. How can I solve this problem or change the letters on the installed
> drives so that my Hard Drive goes back to the default C:?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your help Bar. Whay does SATA and PATA stands for?