create a program in folder options

my son downloaded some holdiay photos into his account in XP.

so i could have the photos i posted from his side of the computer to my
email address in my account with the photos included as an attachment.

when i try to open this attachment in OE, it say it is an unknown file type

also it says that this file does not have a program for performing this and
to create an an associated one in folder options.

i have found folder options in the control panel, could someone kindly tell
a novice exactly what to next please about creating a program in folder
options to be able to open these photos in OE. many thanks for any
assistance.

bar

What you have is a confusing posting, however if I can unravel the puzzle:

Your son took photos off his camera and stored them into a folder under his
logon account.

He then emailled them to you and you are try to open these photos in Outlook
Express.

1. You should save each photo to C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My
Documents\My Pictures
2. Open the 'My Picture' folder and choose 'View' and make sure 'filmstrip
is selected
3. The photos will automatically preview and also open up in an appropriate
picture viewer if one is installed [all XP installations should have 'Paint'].
4. If they do not, then you need to identify the file type: such as .bmp or
..jpg. howevre this could be getting tricky for a novice

Perhaps an easier way would be to identify the original photos and check
that the file name is still correct. Look in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sons Username\My Documents\My Pictures
or whatever the location he chose under