  • Spybot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 22, 2005 1:29:05 AM

Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?

We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.

Thanks.

John

More about : destroy spybot

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:29:06 AM

"John M." <john_martin@shaw.info> wrote in message
> Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
>
> We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
> time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

If Spybot is still installed it should be uninstalled first. What is the
name of the files it can't scan?

Kerry
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:29:06 AM

John,
I use Spybot all the time. It is a good anti-spyware program, and you
needn't worry about not being able to scan within Spybot's archive files
using your anti-virus program. These files are merely spyware program files
that the Spybot has found and put into quarantined archives. If you are
"leasing" an Antivirus program, there is a free antivirus program available
from AVG that you can download and run. You can find it at www.grisoft.com

I actually use 3 anti-spyware programs: Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com ,
Spybot Search and destroy, and Microsoft's Beta Spyware program. The thing I
like about Spybot is that it allows you to set the CPU priority however hig
or low you want. If you run the program snd it slows your system down, just
go into the options and set the priority a little lower.

"John M." wrote:

> Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
>
> We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
> time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Related resources
April 22, 2005 1:35:17 PM

Spybot isn't an AV prgram per se.
My advice is to keep it & run it regularly.

--

johnf

> Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
>
> We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
> time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot
> folder.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:35:18 PM

Yes, as I said, Spybot is a spyware detector, not an anti-virus program. You
can keep running it and just ignore the error messages about your current
anti-virus program not being able to scan within the Spybot quarantined
archives. These archives are merely spyware that has been found and
subsequently removed from your system and archived.

My other point was that he is "leasing" an antivirus program from his
internet provider. (Why???) There is no reason to "lease" any antivirus
program when there are cheaper ones, and even FREE ONES, like the "AVG
Anti-virus" program available from www.grisoft.com .

Norton's Anti-virus is very reasonable, about $30 if you download it, or $35
if you buy the disk in a store. No "lease" involved, just make a 1-time
payment and get their daily updates for free.

"johnf" wrote:

> Spybot isn't an AV prgram per se.
> My advice is to keep it & run it regularly.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
> >
> > We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
> > time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot
> > folder.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > John

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:35:19 PM

"Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, as I said, Spybot is a spyware detector, not an anti-virus program.
> You
> can keep running it and just ignore the error messages about your current
> anti-virus program not being able to scan within the Spybot quarantined
> archives. These archives are merely spyware that has been found and
> subsequently removed from your system and archived.
>
> My other point was that he is "leasing" an antivirus program from his
> internet provider. (Why???) There is no reason to "lease" any antivirus
> program when there are cheaper ones, and even FREE ONES, like the "AVG
> Anti-virus" program available from www.grisoft.com .
>
> Norton's Anti-virus is very reasonable, about $30 if you download it, or
> $35
> if you buy the disk in a store. No "lease" involved, just make a 1-time
> payment and get their daily updates for free.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
>
>> Spybot isn't an AV prgram per se.
>> My advice is to keep it & run it regularly.
>>
>> --

In a networked environment it can be more cost effective to lease a network
based antivirus. The AVG free version is not licenced for business use. If
you have more than a few pc's a network licence or lease can be cheaper than
$30.00 per station.

Kerry