Okay to destroy Spybot?

Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?

We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.

Thanks.

John
5 answers Last reply
More about okay destroy spybot

    "John M." <john_martin@shaw.info> wrote in message
    > Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
    >
    > We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
    > time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    If Spybot is still installed it should be uninstalled first. What is the
    name of the files it can't scan?

    Kerry

    John,
    I use Spybot all the time. It is a good anti-spyware program, and you
    needn't worry about not being able to scan within Spybot's archive files
    using your anti-virus program. These files are merely spyware program files
    that the Spybot has found and put into quarantined archives. If you are
    "leasing" an Antivirus program, there is a free antivirus program available
    from AVG that you can download and run. You can find it at www.grisoft.com

    I actually use 3 anti-spyware programs: Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com ,
    Spybot Search and destroy, and Microsoft's Beta Spyware program. The thing I
    like about Spybot is that it allows you to set the CPU priority however hig
    or low you want. If you run the program snd it slows your system down, just
    go into the options and set the priority a little lower.

    "John M." wrote:

    > Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
    >
    > We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
    > time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot folder.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    Spybot isn't an AV prgram per se.
    My advice is to keep it & run it regularly.

    --

    johnf

    > Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
    >
    > We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
    > time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot
    > folder.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    Yes, as I said, Spybot is a spyware detector, not an anti-virus program. You
    can keep running it and just ignore the error messages about your current
    anti-virus program not being able to scan within the Spybot quarantined
    archives. These archives are merely spyware that has been found and
    subsequently removed from your system and archived.

    My other point was that he is "leasing" an antivirus program from his
    internet provider. (Why???) There is no reason to "lease" any antivirus
    program when there are cheaper ones, and even FREE ONES, like the "AVG
    Anti-virus" program available from www.grisoft.com .

    Norton's Anti-virus is very reasonable, about $30 if you download it, or $35
    if you buy the disk in a store. No "lease" involved, just make a 1-time
    payment and get their daily updates for free.

    "Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, as I said, Spybot is a spyware detector, not an anti-virus program.
    > You
    > can keep running it and just ignore the error messages about your current
    > anti-virus program not being able to scan within the Spybot quarantined
    > archives. These archives are merely spyware that has been found and
    > subsequently removed from your system and archived.
    >
    > My other point was that he is "leasing" an antivirus program from his
    > internet provider. (Why???) There is no reason to "lease" any antivirus
    > program when there are cheaper ones, and even FREE ONES, like the "AVG
    > Anti-virus" program available from www.grisoft.com .
    >
    > Norton's Anti-virus is very reasonable, about $30 if you download it, or
    > $35
    > if you buy the disk in a store. No "lease" involved, just make a 1-time
    > payment and get their daily updates for free.
    >
    > "johnf" wrote:
    >
    >> Spybot isn't an AV prgram per se.
    >> My advice is to keep it & run it regularly.
    >>
    >> --

    In a networked environment it can be more cost effective to lease a network
    based antivirus. The AVG free version is not licenced for business use. If
    you have more than a few pc's a network licence or lease can be cheaper than
    $30.00 per station.

    Kerry

    >> johnf
    >>
    >> > Is it okay to destroy the folder called, "Spybot - Search and Destroy"?
    >> >
    >> > We have anantivirus program that we're leasing from our ISP, and every
    >> > time we run it, it says that it can't scan the files in the Spybot
    >> > folder.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > John

Internet Service Providers Spybot Microsoft Windows XP