Cant unistall NORTON Antivirus 2002

April 21, 2005 11:09:02 PM

When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
anyone please help me? Many thanks.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 11:33:04 PM

Norton Antivirus is notorious for this. Try disabling (stopping - in other
words, shutting it off) the active features of NAV then use the Uninstall
menu item. That should work. Once you do get it uninstalled, do not use it
again. There are much better options, and for free, available to you.

"Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
> message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
> c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
> Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
> anyone please help me? Many thanks.
April 21, 2005 11:56:01 PM

Lyn wrote:
> When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
> message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
> c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
> Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
> anyone please help me? Many thanks.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/uninstall/norton.html
April 22, 2005 5:45:02 AM

Try using Symantec's own removal tool. The removal program can be downloaded
for free from Symantec's website. Here's a link from their support page that
has all the info:

http://service1.syma4ntec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab564929...

Good Luck!
Bob

"Alan" wrote:

> Lyn wrote:
> > When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
> > message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
> > c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
> > Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
> > anyone please help me? Many thanks.
> http://www.hackfix.org/software/uninstall/norton.html

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:01:45 AM

I have the same problem...and I have McAfee AV.

Barryh Karas

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:33:04 -0700, "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Norton Antivirus is notorious for this. Try disabling (stopping - in other
>words, shutting it off) the active features of NAV then use the Uninstall
>menu item. That should work. Once you do get it uninstalled, do not use it
>again. There are much better options, and for free, available to you.
>
>"Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
>> message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
>> c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
>> Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
>> anyone please help me? Many thanks.

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:00:01 PM

"Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try using Symantec's own removal tool. The removal program can be
> downloaded
> for free from Symantec's website. Here's a link from their support page
> that
> has all the info:
>
> http://service1.syma4ntec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab564929...
>
> Good Luck!
> Bob
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
>> Lyn wrote:
>> > When I try to uninstall using uninstall from start/programs menu I get
>> > message"Network error occurred while attempting to read from file
>> > c/windows/installer/NAV.MSI" ...I am using XP
>> > Tried using control panel/unistall progs too and get same message. Can
>> > anyone please help me? Many thanks.
>> http://www.hackfix.org/software/uninstall/norton.html

The posted link has a typo. Try this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab5649297...