Acer aspire 8920g Doesn't want to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kierownik

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, I've got an used 8920g from a friend for 170 pounds and after a week of use i had no problem. Today suddenly after installing 141 windows updates the computer rebooted itself and asked me if i want to launch repair or start windows normally. After pressing start windows the pc shut itself off, now it doesnt want to turn on anymore. Im really desperate, i've tried unplugging the battery and ac pushing the on/off button for 30 seconds then plugging in the ac and turning it on but it didin't help. I've also tried reseeding the ram and HDD but with no avail. Does anyone have any ideas ?Hi, I've got an used 8920g from a friend for 170 pounds and after a week of use i had no problem. Today suddenly after installing 141 windows updates the computer rebooted itself and asked me if i want to launch repair or start windows normally. After pressing start windows the pc shut itself off, now it doesnt want to turn on anymore. Im really desperate, i've tried unplugging the battery and ac pushing the on/off button for 30 seconds then plugging in the ac and turning it on but it didin't help. I've also tried reseeding the ram and HDD but with no avail. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Solution
I have managed to fix it, there was later another problem (Bios saying Operating System not present, so i just reinserted the HDD in a diffrent slot and it worked) The 2 problems were the pin inside the laptop was a wee bit bent so it didint go in properly into the power cable end, and the cable end itself was pushed too much away from themselves so the power never stayed constant... It's now working fine and without any problems :)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Do you see any lights flash (such as the HDD light) at all?

My guess is that it could be an overheat issue or a untimely hardware failure (this is from my admittedly little laptop experience).

Is the friend you bought it from honest? As sometimes you can fix an overheat issue, even through some pretty crude methods that don't always last. Is it possible your friend overheated it, fixed it, and offloaded it on you before it broke again?

Kierownik

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Yes the power light is on the bluetooth and the hdd lights light up, The friend is trustworthy and sits on alot of cash, thats why the price is like it is there... and he took care of it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ok, as long as you trust your friend :) though I wouldn't be too hesitant to ask for a refund if there is a hardware failure, certainly he wouldn't have intended to sell you something that was so close to failure.

So do the lights flash quickly before going out, or do they stay on?

Is it possible that the laptop is booting but the display isn't showing? (if you suspect this, try hooking up a monitor to the laptop and see if anything shows up).

Kierownik

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Umm if i keep on holding the power button it turns off and on all the time, no i don't suspect its the monitor cause if it finnally does turn on the display works fine. I might mention that before the problem my mom (it's her's i got my own.) There was 144 updates (i've installed a fresh copy of windows on it, cause it was running vista before.)
After it rebooted itself it gave a dos style screen asking if i want to launch windows normally or start windows repair, after hitting enter it shut off aswell.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If it isn't showing the Acer splash screen at startup (or showing any signs of life beyond quick blinks/ticks after the button is pressed), then you've got a hardware failure.

It wouldn't be a problem with Windows, the timing of the failure was likely a fluke, your operating system isn't able to make your laptop stop turning on. If you remove the HDD completely, you should still see some life from the machine if the rest of the hardware is good.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I wouldn't throw it away. Go for one of these options
1: Go back to your friend and tell him that the laptop died after ~1 week, and ask if he's willing to return your money. (I would do this first, because the whole thing just seems fishy to me, but you don't want to offend your friend either) If he doesn't want to give your money back, just keep it as a note for the future that you may want to be cautious.

2: Tear the laptop apart (carefully), sell the RAM, the HDD, the CPU, the display, battery, etc on Ebay. Individually these parts can be valuable to somebody looking to repair their own. All of that is $$ towards recouping what you paid your friend (you may even make money). (Your mobo is almost certainly the broken part, so don't sell it, the only other potential problem is CPU, but it's not that likely). This can be a nice learning experience too, though the hard part is putting the pieces back together.

3: Post the whole laptop on ebay (labeled as broken and state that the problem is likely the motherboard), people will buy these to use for parts. You won't get as much money as #2, but it's easier.

Kierownik

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Thank you very much for the replies you've given me, i was thinking of selling it on ebay, but i've never opened more than 3 laptop's before, i probably will fiddle around with it :)

G

if it clicks its the graphics card!!! if you type in youtube8920 graphics will sow you what to do . but most of the time its the display and trust me i have had this happen when reinstalling 7 ( to find out link it to your tv via hdmi , chances are th pannel or tubes have failed you canget new screens

Kierownik

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I have managed to fix it, there was later another problem (Bios saying Operating System not present, so i just reinserted the HDD in a diffrent slot and it worked) The 2 problems were the pin inside the laptop was a wee bit bent so it didint go in properly into the power cable end, and the cable end itself was pushed too much away from themselves so the power never stayed constant... It's now working fine and without any problems :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.