To upgrade or not to upgrade

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I would like some opinions on whether I should upgrade my graphics card now, or hold off and just get a whole new system in a year or so.

I have:
Athlon XP1800+ (Palomino)
Abit Mobo with KT266A chipset
1 GB of Crucial PC2100 (all running stably at 2-2-2-5)
GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB

I am strongly considering replacing the video card with a Radeon 9800Pro 128MB since they're such a good deal right now. What I really want to know is if I would be able to realize the full potential of the 9800 Pro, or will my CPU + slower bus + 4X AGP hold me back. Will I see a HUGE difference or minor improvements (aside from the bells and whistles that come with DX9 over DX8). I should mention that all of my games are playable with the existing card at 1024x768, I just have to lower most of the detail settings.

The only thing I do that pushes the system is gaming: UT2K4, Halo, Star Wars Galaxies (the most memory hungry game I've encountered), etc...

Any input is appreciated.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

If you are planning on upgrading your system in the future anyways, then think about what you are upgrading to.

There are new mobos and new interfaces. If you go with an R9800, then stay with your current mobo (maybe upgrade the CPU for cheap), then when the PCI-EX cards come down in price, as will the PCI-EX equipped mobos, then you upgrade those to something that is more geared towards the future, any current upgrade is somewhat limited, but adding an R9800Pro to you current rig will give you benifits in games that rely heavily on the graphics cards (especially at higher settings). You should be able to up your CPU to 2600 IIRC, so if you find it lagging you should be able to do that once you've upgraded.

The GF4ti is still fairly competant, but if it's holding you back in the games you enjoy, then definitely upgrade it, and se if you can't get a good price for your GF4ti, and maybe get a new CPU with that, or maybe reduce the final cost of the replacement part.

Anywhoo, that's my two frames worth.

Oh yes, PS, if you do replace it be sure to clean your system of all nV drivers. You probably already know that but just a friendly reminder.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
You mean I can drop a 2600 into my current mobo or do you mean overclocking? I was under the impression that I was fairly limitied as far as oc'ing goes.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should be able to put a XP 2400+ CPU in a KT266 motherboard. Check ABIT to make sure. The XP 2400+ has 266fsb just like your XP 1700+ . Newegg.com has the OEM XP2400+ for $67.00. I only saw the XP 2600+ on pricewatch.com and yes there is one that does have a 266fsb.

Yes I was refering to poping in an XP2600+. As Croaker pointed out thos old FSB133 cpus are going pretty cheap nowadays. Even an XP2400 would offer a good perfromance boost, and likely OC ok. 2600+ likely has less oc room IMO. So if you're not adventurous go with the 2600, otherwise maybe save with the 2400+.

As for overclocking, depending on which board it is, you may have more headroom than you think. HotHardware did a good job with their KT266A based board and an XP1800+ (see page 6).

<A HREF="http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=118" target="_new">http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=118</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
KT333's usually support cpu's up to the XP2600+ 266bus chip, but I thought the KT266A's maxed out at XP2100+. I am usuing an Abit KR7A-133R (their top KT266a) and the latest bios only seems to list this for it:

"Support AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+."

I'd sure like to know if it could handle an XP2400+ as they are pretty cheap now.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why would the limit be 2100+? That would put you into Thoroughbred speeds already. And the Thoroughbred goes to at least 2400+, no?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I have the exact same board without the raid, Abit KR7A-133. I found the same information you just listed at <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=85" target="_new">Abit's site</A>.

If my board can handle a 2400 or 2600 that would be awesome! Therefore I suspect it won't work.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
The T-breds go up to 2400 with 266MHz fsb (for $72 USD on <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1028&catalog=343&DEPA=0&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">Newegg</A>). I should be able to use this, no?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, if the T-Bred 2000+ works, the T-Bred 2400+ should work as well. You'll want to load the latest BIOS before mounting any T-Bred.

The only "limit" I can see that would make the 2400+ "non-compatable" is that the speed might not be reported in BIOS...instead of saying "XP2400+" it might say "AMD Athlon XP at 2000MHz". That's not a "real" issue to anyone except uninformed buyers and AMD (for marketing reasons).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I think Abit's site was giving you the top chips of it's day. I'd be surprised if it was in some way bios limited to 2100+/2000+.

Of course, I don't know for sure.

The interesting thing was that in the article I posted they mention the FSB going to 200mhz, but OC'ing not the same as a stable starting core.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
The 1800+ that they oc'd in that article was a T-bred, I have a Palomino. In any case I won't be doing any overclocking as long as my desire to not fry anything in my gaming rig exceeds my desire for better performance.

Thanks for the help everyone. I won't be buying the new stuff for a little while (haven't completely decided yet), but I'll make a post when I do.

pauldh

Illustrious
I think Abit's site was giving you the top chips of it's day. I'd be surprised if it was in some way bios limited to 2100+/2000+.

Yeah, that is usually the case, but I expect more from ABit. Soyo did that once to me i remember. But Not showing the max cpu in the compatibility chart and in the latest bio info is lame IMO, especially given how old this mobo is now. It's been a good one though.

If I didn't have a huge volcano 9 on this thing, that requires the power supply to be pulled and my tidy cable job to be cut loose, I'd try a faster chip. I have a XP2400+ I may put in it for a test. This is our main home computer and the only one I have that I care too much about to test on it. Any other system and I'd test it right now.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=2814c7989965d34429df82daac49c315&threadid=30504&highlight=kr7a133" target="_new">http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=2814c7989965d34429df82daac49c315&threadid=30504&highlight=kr7a133</A>

Some people claim the right Xp2400+ will work. Read here. If I get to test mine this weekend, I'll let you know.