Using a generic P4 fan in an Optiplex GX240 ?

After the P4 CPU fan failed in my GX240, I replaced it with a generic
Intel P4 fan I had on hand. Had to change the mounting bracket (Salvaged
one from a dead Dell Dimension motherboard), and had to cut the poigtail
off the old Dell fan and Splice it onto the Intel fan.

The wire colors are different (Red/white/Black on Dell,
Green/Yellow/Black on Intel). Making the presumption that Black=Black, I
took a 50/50 gamble on the others and matched Red=Yellow and
White=Green. I based my decision on the pin arrangement (center=center,
left=left).

It works, I can see the fan run, but I still get a "Previous Fan
Failure" message on POST, even after I clear the events in the F2 setup.

Are the Dell P4 CPU fans just simply incompatible with anything else ?
Or maybe I just made a wrong guess and should reverse the Red and White
leads ?

Anybody else been there, done that ?

- FM -

In order to avoid seeing the error, you must use an exact replacement fan.