TECH: Galaga has a heartbeat

crabby

Ok, the game has developed a constant beat, alot like a heartbeat. It
doenst seem to have any affect on the game,though sometimes I have to
turn the game on and off a few times till the ram error goes away but
the "hearbeat" is new. Is this a sign of possible failure?

Thanks
eddie

crabby

Well it does have a switcher in it and I have never addressed the 3 big
caps on the psu, I will make sure to do both and I'll holler back at
yall with my results. Looks like its time to resurrect my Bob Roberts
relationship again....
VaxX wrote:
> replace all the big power caps in the psu for a quick fix, otherwise
replace
> all the electylitic caps for less trouble later.
>

> "matt" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does it have a switching power supply installed? I ran into one a
month or
> > so ago that was doing the same. The switcher was bad.
> >
> > --
> > Matt
> > M and M Electronics
> > 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> > Suite F, PMB 105
> > Rocklin, Ca 95677
> > 916-275-5871
> > "crabby" <ecrab3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok, the game has developed a constant beat, alot like a
heartbeat. It
> > > doenst seem to have any affect on the game,though sometimes I
have to
> > > turn the game on and off a few times till the ram error goes away
but
> > > the "hearbeat" is new. Is this a sign of possible failure?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > eddie

I had the same problem on a repair and it was one of the electrolytic caps
for the audio amp circuit (one of the larger axial ones going from memory).

Best Regards,

Bill

"crabby" <ecrab3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, the game has developed a constant beat, alot like a heartbeat. It
> doenst seem to have any affect on the game,though sometimes I have to
> turn the game on and off a few times till the ram error goes away but
> the "hearbeat" is new. Is this a sign of possible failure?
>
> Thanks
> eddie

That was going to be my suggestion, too. If the game is working except for
this "heart beat" noise, I'd replace the axial electrolytic capacitors next
to the audio amplifier chip. If they're original, chances are they're bad.
But they're cheap to replace.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004