I recently posted about police auctions where the OS is removed.

See example below. My questions is: HOW MUCH IS THIS SYSTEM WORTH? HOW MUCH
SHOULD I EVEN BID ON IT? It doesn't specify the model number. I suspect it
will go for a bit over $300.

Dell Latitude Laptop

This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,
CD-ROM, sound card, parallel port, serial port, usb port, and PS/2 port.
Unit comes with power adapter and floppy drive adapter.

Tested for power, powers on.

Important Note: No Operating System included due to licensing regulations.
All software, including the Operating System, is removed prior to shipment.

Condition: Good

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
>memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,

>Condition: Good

I wouldn't give you $100 for it, but it may be worth more to that to
someone else. I'd want the ESC so I can get the details from Dell,
the presence of a valid license key for a modern OS (though given the
age of it I'm going to guess it's Win98 or so, which is worth nothing,
IMHO), and a better description of what they mean by "good". It's
probably going to be marginal for Win2K or WinXP (a legal license for
XP will set you back a couple hundred bucks), and you can buy brand
new laptops for $500 nowadays...

Between wear and tear, battery life, OS license, and the time
nessesary to make it useful, this could turn into a real nightmare,
again IMHO.

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Then you have to spend $$ for an OS? I wouldn't give them 10 cents for this
boat anchor...

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I recently posted about police auctions where the OS is removed.
>
> See example below. My questions is: HOW MUCH IS THIS SYSTEM WORTH? HOW
MUCH
> SHOULD I EVEN BID ON IT? It doesn't specify the model number. I suspect it
> will go for a bit over $300.
>
> Dell Latitude Laptop
>
> This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
> memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,
> CD-ROM, sound card, parallel port, serial port, usb port, and PS/2 port.
> Unit comes with power adapter and floppy drive adapter.
>
> Tested for power, powers on.
>
> Important Note: No Operating System included due to licensing regulations.
> All software, including the Operating System, is removed prior to
shipment.

> Condition: Good

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Sounds like this is probably a Latitude CPi these go on Ebay for about £100
to £125
"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I recently posted about police auctions where the OS is removed.
>
> See example below. My questions is: HOW MUCH IS THIS SYSTEM WORTH? HOW
> MUCH SHOULD I EVEN BID ON IT? It doesn't specify the model number. I
> suspect it will go for a bit over $300.
>
> Dell Latitude Laptop
>
> This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
> memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,
> CD-ROM, sound card, parallel port, serial port, usb port, and PS/2 port.
> Unit comes with power adapter and floppy drive adapter.
>
> Tested for power, powers on.
>
> Important Note: No Operating System included due to licensing regulations.
> All software, including the Operating System, is removed prior to
> shipment.
>

> Condition: Good

With 256MB of memory, the system would be fine for Windows 2K, just starts up
slowly. Windows XP? No way. Never.

The point about OS software sticker (or license) is valid. Costs a bunch to buy
even Windows 2000... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:16:35 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>>This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
>>memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,
>
>>Condition: Good
>
>I wouldn't give you $100 for it, but it may be worth more to that to
>someone else. I'd want the ESC so I can get the details from Dell,
>the presence of a valid license key for a modern OS (though given the
>age of it I'm going to guess it's Win98 or so, which is worth nothing,
>IMHO), and a better description of what they mean by "good". It's
>probably going to be marginal for Win2K or WinXP (a legal license for
>XP will set you back a couple hundred bucks), and you can buy brand
>new laptops for $500 nowadays...
>
>Between wear and tear, battery life, OS license, and the time
>nessesary to make it useful, this could turn into a real nightmare,
>again IMHO.

At today's exchange rates, that's a only little more than $US 100 to $US 125.

I would not buy the system for much more than that. if the police auction gets
$300 for it, the police are turning into robbers. Or the buyer would be blindly
ignorant of current market conditions. Or maybe just plain dumb... Ben Myers

> At today's exchange rates, that's a only little more than $US 100 to $US
> 125.
>
> I would not buy the system for much more than that. if the police auction
> gets
> $300 for it, the police are turning into robbers. Or the buyer would be
> blindly
> ignorant of current market conditions. Or maybe just plain dumb... Ben
> Myers

In the auction scenario, its never the seller that is the robber. They are
simply taking the most amount of money someone is willing to pay for any
given item. IF the item goes for $300 at the po-leese auction, then its the
buyer that is the idiot, not the seller.

- NuTs

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:44:23 -0500, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
wrote:

>I recently posted about police auctions where the OS is removed.
>
>See example below. My questions is: HOW MUCH IS THIS SYSTEM WORTH? HOW MUCH
>SHOULD I EVEN BID ON IT? It doesn't specify the model number. I suspect it
>will go for a bit over $300.
>
>Dell Latitude Laptop
>
>This laptop has 8.6GB hard drive, 256KB of internal cache, 128MB of system
>memory, and cpu speed of 366MHz. This laptop has a 12" screen display,
>CD-ROM, sound card, parallel port, serial port, usb port, and PS/2 port.
>Unit comes with power adapter and floppy drive adapter.
>
>Tested for power, powers on.
>
>Important Note: No Operating System included due to licensing regulations.
>All software, including the Operating System, is removed prior to shipment.
>

>Condition: Good

Do a search on EBAY and see what similar systems have sold for. That
should give you a good idea. For the one you list: $100 max, I'd
say--it's a pretty puny system by today's standards.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Thanks for all the responses. I'll pass on it!! I still bet it goes for
$300!!! I agree it isn't worth much.

Mel

> Thanks for all the responses. I'll pass on it!! I still bet it goes for
> $300!!! I agree it isn't worth much.
>
> Mel

That machine brings $175 bucks on a day when several overly-enthusiastic
grandmothers are bidding on it.

Stew