Sign in with
Your question

Computer Turns On By Itself

Last response: in Windows XP
June 30, 2003 10:02:33 PM

I recently built a computer for a friend of mine and she just emailed stating that the computer is turning on by itself. I was kinda perplexed by that, she had told me that she had shut it down and when she woke up at 3am it was on again...samething happend at 630am. I'm planning on asking her if she shutdown or restarted. But i'm sure she shutdown(giving her some credit). I want to tell her to check her BIOS for the BIOS automatic Wake-Up events. However, if anyone has had similar problem or if anyone has alternate solutions it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

More about : computer turns

July 1, 2003 5:02:10 AM

I know exactly what's going on.

It's a ghost, or as exorcists like to call it, a poltergiest.

-Dad, you just killed zombie Flanders.
-He was a zombie?
July 2, 2003 6:24:24 PM

It's probably wake-on-mouse, wake-on-keyboard, or wake-on-LAN the latter being the most probable if she has an always-on internet connection (i.e. DSL or cable).
Related resources
July 3, 2003 2:48:44 AM

Its the wake on LAN like the other guy said. Happened many times to myself in the past.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
July 14, 2003 2:12:40 PM

Tell your friend to run a virus detection program over it as it's possible (pretty unlikely!) that someone may have installed a trojan on her system and could be using her pc for they're own use......it's more likely if she's using broadband but some skript kiddies will use whatever they can find.....just a suggestion anyway!
!