Gorf Cabinet Restoration

Greetings,
I just picked up a Gorf full-size upright cabinet that was converted to
a Gyruss. It appears that most of the original internals including the
bezel light box (for ranks) are still in place. Obviously though I don't
have the PCB, Control Panel, or Marquee. The rest of the cab seems to be in
decent shape although it could use some new side art. My question is, how
expensive do you think it will be for me to restore this machine to it's
former glory? Also, are these cabs rare? Looking at auction listings and
on e-bay I've only found 1 other one listed and that was an auction from
2003. I've also noticed the original metal control panels seem to be a bit
hard to find. I am new to collecting so I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks in advance.

Not sure of the cost of all the pieces separately, but if the cab is
decent and you like the game, those should be the first questions that
will tell you if it is worth restoring. You may be able to find a
really bad condition but complete cab that you could transfer parts from
as well rather than doing piecework. If you are doing it for the resale
value, it will probably not be worth doing. Someone was selling
recently a nicely restored (from the sounds of it) and ended up getting
like $300 for the whole game. Of course this may have been due to
shipping options, location, etc. I suppose if you are selling and
someone is looking to buy you may get lucky, or if you take it to an
auction or sell to a private consumer you will fare much better.

That being said, I have my old metal overlay that I replaced with one of
the very nice repro's done that you can have for the cost of shipping.
I think I have a spare cage for the board set and some spare boards that
I haven't verified status of - I doubt if it's a full set, but I haven't
looked lately. Email me if you are interested in any of these or post
for specific parts on here to see what everyone has.

~Greg

Ed Kryfka wrote:
> Greetings,
> I just picked up a Gorf full-size upright cabinet that was converted to
> a Gyruss. It appears that most of the original internals including the
> bezel light box (for ranks) are still in place. Obviously though I don't
> have the PCB, Control Panel, or Marquee. The rest of the cab seems to be in
> decent shape although it could use some new side art. My question is, how
> expensive do you think it will be for me to restore this machine to it's
> former glory? Also, are these cabs rare? Looking at auction listings and
> on e-bay I've only found 1 other one listed and that was an auction from
> 2003. I've also noticed the original metal control panels seem to be a bit
> hard to find. I am new to collecting so I would appreciate your feedback.
> Thanks in advance.

Well, I am not really interested in resale value, I have this crazy idea
about creating a vintage 1980's era arcade museum in Nebraska. I'd like to
do it as a non-profit and have tour groups come through to check out the old
games, but still charge a quarter to play in order to allow for game
maintenance and new acquisitions. I know that others have tried this route
and failed but due to the low lease rates for space in Nebraska, I believe I
can do it. This restoration is really for me to see if I have the stamina
and the true love for such work that I believe I might have. If I do, I'll
move forward from there, if not, I'll have a nice momento of a bygone era.
At any rate, the biggest problem for the collector out here is the scarcity
of cabs and parts. I appreciate your offer of your used metal overlay, I
would love to have it if you'd let me know how much the shipping is. I live
in York, Nebraska. As far as the cage and spare boards go, let me know how
much you'd want for them and I'll see how my budget looks. Thanks Greg.