CD-RW Backup Problem?

David

I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program I
now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job, but
would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files on
the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two programs
"Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program. Here
is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet Writing
software to be installed on the computer before their programs will work,
which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to be
an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks,
david

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Here is a link "Google" and packet writing software
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-21,RNWE:en&q=UDF+Packet+Writing+software&spell=1

"david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
>I now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
>but would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files
>on the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
>programs "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup
>program. Here is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF
>Packet Writing software to be installed on the computer before their
>programs will work, which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at
>Roxio but seems to be an expense program. Any advice on this problem would
>be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> david

David

Thank you Molly for your quick and helpful response.
Didn't realize there were so many. Picking the right one will be the trick.
Thanks
david

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here is a link "Google" and packet writing software
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-21,RNWE:en&q=UDF+Packet+Writing+software&spell=1
>
> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
>>I now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
>>but would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing
>>files on the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
>>programs "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup
>>program. Here is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF
>>Packet Writing software to be installed on the computer before their
>>programs will work, which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at
>>Roxio but seems to be an expense program. Any advice on this problem would
>>be appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> david

"david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
|I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
| now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
but
| would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files on
| the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two programs
| "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program.
Here
| is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet Writing
| software to be installed on the computer before their programs will work,
| which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to be
| an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
| Thanks,
| david

If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging one, I
use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most removable
media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.

http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

David

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
> |I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The
> program
> | now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
> but
> | would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files
> on
> | the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
> programs
> | "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program.
> Here
> | is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet
> Writing
> | software to be installed on the computer before their programs will
> work,
> | which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to
> be
> | an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
> | Thanks,
> | david
>

> If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging one,
> use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most removable
> media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
>
> http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also. Does
BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
my computer?
david

| > If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging
one,
| > use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most
removable
| > media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
| >
| > http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
| >
| > --
| >
| > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
| > I was just trying to help.
| > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
| > advice herein.
| > No warranty is expressed or implied.
| > Your mileage may vary.
| > See store for details. :)
| >
| > Remove shoes to E-mail.
| >
| Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also.
Does
| BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
| my computer?
| david

No it does not.

>| > If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging
> one,
> | > use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most
> removable
> | > media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
> | >
> | > http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> | > I was just trying to help.
> | > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
> or
> | > advice herein.
> | > No warranty is expressed or implied.
> | > Your mileage may vary.
> | > See store for details. :)
> | >
> | > Remove shoes to E-mail.
> | >
> | Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also.
> Does
> | BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed
> on
> | my computer?
> | david
>
> No it does not.
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply
This makes the program ok.
david

David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the usual
mastering software.

Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write to
a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program directly
to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and throw away the
out of date backups.

Brian

"david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
>I now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
>but would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files
>on the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
>programs "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup
>program. Here is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF
>Packet Writing software to be installed on the computer before their
>programs will work, which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at
>Roxio but seems to be an expense program. Any advice on this problem would
>be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> david

David

Thank you Brian K for you response. The reason I was asking about the UDF
packet writing was both of the backup programs you had recommended to me in
an early post "Acron's True Image & Second Copy 2000 both required one.
Although the RecordNow will do a data backup, the problem I had was it
wouldn't copy over the existing files on the CD. I have to erase the CD
first, but I can live with that. I would still like a program that I can
use to make a full system backup, RecordNow won't do that. Is there one you
know of that doesn't require the UDF packet writing?
Thanks again,
david

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the usual
> mastering software.
>
> Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write
> to a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program
> directly to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and
> throw away the out of date backups.
>
> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
>>I now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
>>but would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing
>>files on the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two
>>programs "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup
>>program. Here is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF
>>Packet Writing software to be installed on the computer before their
>>programs will work, which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at
>>Roxio but seems to be an expense program. Any advice on this problem would
>>be appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> david

Hi again David. I use both programs and I don't use packet writing. You
don't need extra software.

I suggest avoiding CD-RW discs as they may let you down when you need them
most. ie they can "forget" data. CD-R discs are so cheap these days and can
be used as MultiSession so you can keep adding data until they are full.

I suggest using Acronis TI to image your C:drive to a folder in your Data
partition. Ask Acronis to split the image into 700 MB chunks so you can burn
to multiple CD's later. You probably only need to burn CD's or transfer the
image to an external HD every month or so, the frequency is personal. In the
meantime just keep adding incremental images to your main image. It's quick
and as you have a large HD, space isn't a problem. Say every day or two. The
C: drive is far more likely to get corrupted than for the HD to fail
completely. And if the C: drive is corrupted, just restore an image from the
Data partition. CD's aren't needed. In fact if you need to restore an image
that is on CD's, copy it to the Data partition before you start Acronis and
restore the image from the HD. Much easier than using CD's for the restore.

For Second Copy you have to decide which files need to be backed up (daily,
weekly) and which don't. Have these copied to another folder on your Data
partition (by Second Copy) and burn this whole folder when needed. Many
files never change and don't need to be part of the Second Copy backup.
These can be burnt separately if required.

Do all burning with RecordNow. For CD-R, you can substitute DVD +/- R discs.
Then you don't have to split the image as it will fit on one disc. Also DVD
discs are cheaper on a MB by MB basis.

Let me know if I've been too brief.

Brian

> Thank you Brian K for you response. The reason I was asking about the UDF
> packet writing was both of the backup programs you had recommended to me
> in an early post "Acron's True Image & Second Copy 2000 both required one.
> Although the RecordNow will do a data backup, the problem I had was it
> wouldn't copy over the existing files on the CD. I have to erase the CD
> first, but I can live with that. I would still like a program that I can
> use to make a full system backup, RecordNow won't do that. Is there one
> you know of that doesn't require the UDF packet writing?
> Thanks again,
> david
>
> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the
>> usual mastering software.
>>
>> Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write
>> to a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program
>> directly to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and
>> throw away the out of date backups.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The
>>>program I now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do
>>>the job, but would like a full backup program that will overwrite the
>>>existing files on the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a
>>>link to two programs "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very
>>>good backup program. Here is my problem, both of the backup programs
>>>call for a VDF Packet Writing software to be installed on the computer
>>>before their programs will work, which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I
>>>have looked at Roxio but seems to be an expense program. Any advice on
>>>this problem would be appreciated.
>>> Thanks,
>>> david

David

Hi Brian. I tried using second copy but never could get it to work. I tried
transferring the files to the CD burning file and then using Second Copy but
it keep telling me I didn't have a CD in the drive. I even tried
transferring the files to My Document again didn't work.I never could get
Second Copy to recognize my CD drive. I even emailed Centered Systems
Support..They gave me a work around to not having a packet writing software,
but it didn't work either. I will download a trial vision of Acronis and
see if I can get it to work. It sounds like by your reply I need to install
a Data Partition to get the two programs to work? I haven't as yet set up a
new partition, I guess I have been sort of hesitant to do so, thinking I
will make a mistake. Maybe that is why I wasn't able to get Second Copy to
work? If I transfer the files to the new partition I can then copy them to
Second Copy or Acronis, or like your reply just copy them to the partition
drive then back to the "C" drive? When I do install the new partition do I
make the size bigger that what I have now?
Thanks again Brian for you help.

> [...]
>> one. Although the RecordNow will do a data backup, the problem I had was
>> it wouldn't copy over the existing files on the CD. I have to erase the
>> CD first, but I can live with that. I would still like a program that I
>> can use to make a full system backup, RecordNow won't do that. Is there
>> one you know of that doesn't require the UDF packet writing?
>> Thanks again,
>> david
>>
>> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the
>>> usual mastering software.
>>>
>>> Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write
>>> to a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program
>>> directly to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and

David, I'm confused. I thought you had already made a 120 MB Data partition,
probably D: drive, or E: depending on the drive letter of your CD drive? You
can't write an Acronis image to the HD unless you have another partition. In
general you only need to use Acronis TI for imaging the C: drive.

I was envisaging moving My Documents to the Data partition and putting all
your images, music, movies etc on the Data partition. Only use the C: drive
for installing programs. Keep the C: drive lean. This makes for easier
backups.

It's best to forget about writing Second Copy backups and Acronis images to
CD's or DVD's direct from the app. It's just too error prone and also too
slow. Backup to the HD first and burn later.

Brian

> Hi Brian. I tried using second copy but never could get it to work. I
> tried transferring the files to the CD burning file and then using Second
> Copy but it keep telling me I didn't have a CD in the drive. I even tried
> transferring the files to My Document again didn't work.I never could get
> Second Copy to recognize my CD drive. I even emailed Centered Systems
> Support..They gave me a work around to not having a packet writing
> software, but it didn't work either. I will download a trial vision of
> Acronis and see if I can get it to work. It sounds like by your reply I
> need to install a Data Partition to get the two programs to work? I
> haven't as yet set up a new partition, I guess I have been sort of
> hesitant to do so, thinking I will make a mistake. Maybe that is why I
> wasn't able to get Second Copy to work? If I transfer the files to the new
> partition I can then copy them to Second Copy or Acronis, or like your
> reply just copy them to the partition drive then back to the "C" drive?
> When I do install the new partition do I make the size bigger that what I
> have now?
> Thanks again Brian for you help.
> david

David

Hi Brian,
Your right I should of made the new partition "D" a while back. I just
wasn't sure what I should move into the new partition and what I should
leave in my "C" drive. In your reply you mentioned images. Should I move
the program I have the photos in to the new D drive? Is 120MB about right
for the partition? I guess I can increase it later on if I have to. I will
download Acronis and soon as I make the new partition which will be
tomorrow.
Also being a senior citizen it takes a while for the information to sunk in.
Like when you say "forget about writing images to CD"s of DVD's direct form
the app. Backup to the Hard Drive. Came you elaborate on this a little?
Thanks for the great help I really need it.

> David, I'm confused. I thought you had already made a 120 MB Data
> partition, probably D: drive, or E: depending on the drive letter of your
> CD drive? You can't write an Acronis image to the HD unless you have
> another partition. In general you only need to use Acronis TI for imaging
> the C: drive.
>
> I was envisaging moving My Documents to the Data partition and putting
> all your images, music, movies etc on the Data partition. Only use the C:
> drive for installing programs. Keep the C: drive lean. This makes for
> easier backups.
>

> It's best to forget about writing Second Copy backups and Acronis images
> to CD's or DVD's direct from the app. It's just too error prone and also
> too slow. Backup to the HD first and burn later.
>

> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian. I tried using second copy but never could get it to work. I
>> tried transferring the files to the CD burning file and then using Second
>> Copy but it keep telling me I didn't have a CD in the drive. I even
>> tried transferring the files to My Document again didn't work.I never
>> could get Second Copy to recognize my CD drive. I even emailed Centered
>> Systems Support..They gave me a work around to not having a packet
>> writing software, but it didn't work either. I will download a trial
>> vision of Acronis and see if I can get it to work. It sounds like by
>> your reply I need to install a Data Partition to get the two programs to
>> work? I haven't as yet set up a new partition, I guess I have been sort
>> of hesitant to do so, thinking I will make a mistake. Maybe that is why
>> I wasn't able to get Second Copy to work? If I transfer the files to the
>> new partition I can then copy them to Second Copy or Acronis, or like
>> your reply just copy them to the partition drive then back to the "C"
>> drive? When I do install the new partition do I make the size bigger that
>> what I have now?
>> Thanks again Brian for you help.
>> david

Keep up the courage. Partitioning is easy if done properly.

Leave all your programs on the C: drive. Only shift data from the C: drive,
ie thing you have created like photos, music, video, downloads, Word
documents etc. Put all future data on the D: drive. (the future Data drive
might well be labelled E: drive by Windows. Accept that.) You have a 250 GB
hard drive so instead of 120 GB for the new partition I'd make it 180 GB.
That's 180,000 MB to enter in Partition Magic. This will make your C: drive
around 50 GB which is plenty.

Forget about writing images to CD's or DVD's direct from Second Copy or
Acronis, it's unreliable, as you have found. Image (Acronis) the C: drive to
the Data partition. Second Copy selected data on your Data partition and
send it to a Folder on the same Data partition. The image and Folder can be
burnt to CD/DVD at your leisure.

The following is from dg1261's former post. It's an excellent overview. Read
it several times.

"Okay, that's helpful to know--it doesn't affect the question at hand
(creating a new partition), but helps people understand what your goal is.

Partitioning a HD creates segments which you can treat as separate "drives"
in which to load/store different things. This can be confusing for newbies
because you have to be careful to distinguish drives in the logical sense
(e.g., "drive C:" or "drive E:") from drives in the physical sense (e.g.,
"Seagate drive" or "slave drive"). There's a backgrounder on partitions on
my website at www.goodells.net/multiboot that may be helpful. The site is
really about multibooting, so the info may be a bit overwhelming, but maybe
you can glean something from the backgrounder on partitions that will help
you put the PM guide and Brian K's instructions into context.

As shipped, most computers come with a giant "C: drive" that contains both
the OS and the user's data--so if you have to reformat and reinstall the OS,
you lose everything in the partition, which includes user data. But if
partitioned into more than one logical drive, you can shift user data to the
non-OS partition--then when you have to reformat/reinstall the OS, you're
only touching the OS partition and not losing your data, which is tucked
away on the other partition. However, both partitions are on the same
physical device--so if the motor or something else on that device conks out,
you lose all logical drives on that device, not just the OS partition.

> Another Question? What backup program do you use to backup to
> you CD/DVD. I have Record Now but it isn't a very good backup.
> I would like one I can back up my financial program and others and
> it would copy over and add to the existing backup. I have to erase the
> CD now before I can add the new backup. Also backing up the OS on
> CD is a good idea, but I don't think possible with my backup program.

IMHO, Record Now is an adequate CD-burning program, and is perhaps a bit
easier for the new user than the more fully-featured programs like Roxio or
Nero. The problem is you're trying to turn it into a backup program, which
is a separate function from CD-burning. Like Brian K, I backup onto the
hard drive and then burn the backup file to CD, as two separate steps.

You should give some deliberate thought to your backup strategy rather than
just hoping some backup program is going to tell you what to do. First,
there are two different things to backup: the operating system and your
data. Then there are varying tiers of backup based on risk factors (which
are principally user error, OS error, hardware malfunction, and theft/fire).

Partitioning is a first step because it allows you to start separating your
data from the OS. Then you can use different approaches for backing up
each. Your OS is gigabytes huge but doesn't change much daily, so
time-consuming backups can be done less frequently, using an imaging program
(Brian K's Acronis recommendation is a good one). Your data is (typically)
not as large and should be backed up more frequently. When separated from
the OS, backing up data can be relatively quick and you can use a different
approach--backing up the files rather than the whole partition as a unit.
Brian K gave you one recommendation, while I use my own homegrown scripts
that backup my data automatically once a day without any intervention.

Where you put the backups depends on the degree of protection you're after,
and can range from separate partition (on same hard drive), to second hard
drive, removeable media (hard drive/CD/DVD/zipdisk), or even offsite
storage. A comprehensive strategy would cover multiple tiers--backup CDs
stored offsite are great protection against fire and theft, but not very
convenient when you just need to restore an Excel file you accidentally
overwrote. As an example, at home my strategy for data includes automatic
daily incremental backups (only files that have changed) on separate
partition, automatic full backups (all data files, changed or not) every 10
days, all backups (I don't overwrite--each daily backup is separate from
other days) manually copied to network share on home LAN once or twice a
month, and network share manually copied to CD every 3 months. These
timeframes reflect my perceived vulnerability to the various risk factors
mentioned above."

Let's know how you are progressing.

Brian

> Hi Brian,
> Your right I should of made the new partition "D" a while back. I just
> wasn't sure what I should move into the new partition and what I should
> leave in my "C" drive. In your reply you mentioned images. Should I move
> the program I have the photos in to the new D drive? Is 120MB about right
> for the partition? I guess I can increase it later on if I have to. I will
> download Acronis and soon as I make the new partition which will be
> tomorrow.
> Also being a senior citizen it takes a while for the information to sunk
> in. Like when you say "forget about writing images to CD"s of DVD's direct
> form the app. Backup to the Hard Drive. Came you elaborate on this a
> little?
> Thanks for the great help I really need it.
> david

David, just to confirm 180,000 MB, not 180 MB. ( I put 120 MB in my previous
post when I meant 120 GB)

David

Hi Brian,
I finally placed the new partition "D drive" on my computer. PM shows two
new partitions, One Extended with a * in front of it and the other Data [D]
NTFS is this right? Now can you give me some advice on moving the files
from C to D drives? Also I use Quicken for my financial program should I
move it to D also?
Thanks again for the excellent advice. I wouldn't be this far with out you

> David, just to confirm 180,000 MB, not 180 MB. ( I put 120 MB in my

Good work. How long did the partitioning take out of interest? What is the
drive letter of your CD drive?

Yes, the Extended partition contains the logical drive. There is no need at
present, but in the future you may want to split the current logical drive
into two or more. Maybe in a few years.

Firstly, create a folder in your D: drive and call it My Documents. Then
right click on the old My Documents icon on the desktop, click Properties,
click Move and in Select A Destination navigate to D:\My Documents, OK, OK.
Accept any choices to move your data. You will see the data being moved. Now
the desktop My Documents icon will take you to D:\My Documents.

I'm unfamiliar with Quicken but I'd be inclined to leave it on the C: drive
as it's a program. Don't move any programs or data associated with programs.
Your own Music, Photos etc will probably have been shifted over in My
Documents.

Let me know the sizes of your partitions and their Used Space in GB and
we'll do an image.

Brian

> Hi Brian,
> I finally placed the new partition "D drive" on my computer. PM shows two
> new partitions, One Extended with a * in front of it and the other Data
> [D] NTFS is this right? Now can you give me some advice on moving the
> files from C to D drives? Also I use Quicken for my financial program
> should I move it to D also?
> Thanks again for the excellent advice. I wouldn't be this far with out
> you help.
> david
>
> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> David, just to confirm 180,000 MB, not 180 MB. ( I put 120 MB in my

David

Hi Brian,
I am having a problem moving My Documents folder. I have a folder in there
that I used to download spyware programs and one called total uninstall that
I used to install the other programs. I'm afraid if I move the folder to
the D drive I will not be able to use them. Any subjections? I could
uninstall them and then reinstall after I move the folder. Also I should
mention I didn't have a My Documents folder on my desktop and I am sure I
didn't delete it. I put a short cut on it.
It only took about 5min. for PM to make the new D partition. I was surprised
how fast it went after all the time it took me to do it. The "C" drive has
53,4GB and the "D" drive has 175GB..
Haven't had a chance to look at the web sight as yet.

> David, this is an interesting read on imaging. Even though it's about
> Ghost, the principles apply to Acronis TI.
>

> http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1.htm

I don't understand the situation with your spyware programs so the safest
thing would be to uninstall and reinstall after you have shifted My
Documents.

To get My Documents back onto the Desktop, right click on the desktop,
Properties, Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, tick My Documents, OK.

We're getting there.

Brian

> Hi Brian,
> I am having a problem moving My Documents folder. I have a folder in
> there that I used to download spyware programs and one called total
> uninstall that I used to install the other programs. I'm afraid if I move
> the folder to the D drive I will not be able to use them. Any
> subjections? I could uninstall them and then reinstall after I move the
> folder. Also I should mention I didn't have a My Documents folder on my
> desktop and I am sure I didn't delete it. I put a short cut on it.
> It only took about 5min. for PM to make the new D partition. I was
> surprised how fast it went after all the time it took me to do it. The
> "C" drive has 53,4GB and the "D" drive has 175GB..
> Haven't had a chance to look at the web sight as yet.
> Thanks,
> david

David

Also Brian I have two picture programs I just installed Print Shop Pro 9 and
Paint Shop Photo Album. Since I will be using them for my Photos should I
reinstall them to my D drive?

>I don't understand the situation with your spyware programs so the safest
>thing would be to uninstall and reinstall after you have shifted My
>Documents.
>
> To get My Documents back onto the Desktop, right click on the desktop,
> Properties, Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, tick My Documents, OK.
>
> We're getting there.
>
> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian,
>> I am having a problem moving My Documents folder. I have a folder in
>> there that I used to download spyware programs and one called total
>> uninstall that I used to install the other programs. I'm afraid if I
>> move the folder to the D drive I will not be able to use them. Any
>> subjections? I could uninstall them and then reinstall after I move the
>> folder. Also I should mention I didn't have a My Documents folder on my
>> desktop and I am sure I didn't delete it. I put a short cut on it.
>> It only took about 5min. for PM to make the new D partition. I was
>> surprised how fast it went after all the time it took me to do it. The
>> "C" drive has 53,4GB and the "D" drive has 175GB..
>> Haven't had a chance to look at the web sight as yet.
>> Thanks,
>> david

No, continue to install all new software to your C: drive but put all your
photos on the D: drive. You should be able to change the default storage
folder of Paint Shop Photo Album to a folder on the D: drive, but if you
can't, then uninstall and install to the D: drive. During installation,
instead of installing to C:\Program Files\... just change C to D so that it
reads D:\Program Files\...

Ideally you want WindowsXP and installed programs on the C: drive so they
are included in the same image backup.

> Also Brian I have two picture programs I just installed Print Shop Pro 9
> and Paint Shop Photo Album. Since I will be using them for my Photos
> should I reinstall them to my D drive?
> david
>
> "

David

How about the spyware or other programs I just uninstalled. Can they be
download to the D drive now?
I only have five of them, not counting the two backup programs you told me
about.

> No, continue to install all new software to your C: drive but put all your
> photos on the D: drive. You should be able to change the default storage
> folder of Paint Shop Photo Album to a folder on the D: drive, but if you
> can't, then uninstall and install to the D: drive. During installation,
> instead of installing to C:\Program Files\... just change C to D so that
> it reads D:\Program Files\...
>
> Ideally you want WindowsXP and installed programs on the C: drive so they
> are included in the same image backup.
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Also Brian I have two picture programs I just installed Print Shop Pro 9
>> and Paint Shop Photo Album. Since I will be using them for my Photos
>> should I reinstall them to my D drive?
>> david
>>
>> "

Arrange for all future internet downloads to go direct to a folder on the D:
drive. Already installed programs stay on the C: drive. They will be in
C:\Program Files not My Documents.

> How about the spyware or other programs I just uninstalled. Can they be
> download to the D drive now?
> I only have five of them, not counting the two backup programs you told me
> about.
> david

David, an excellent guide to partitioning.

http://partition.radified.com/

Brian