TECH: William Defender Cocktail

I am a newbie to Williams games and am having trouble with a Defender
Cocktail that I bought working last year. I powered it up last week and
it had a video problem. The monitor was getting signal, but it looked
like a horizontal-hold problem. I tried to re-seat the roms, but then I
broke a leg on ROM 10 on the ROM board. I have replaced EPROMS for
other games before, I have an eraser and programmer, but these chips are
ROMs. How do I go about replacing this chip, and does anyone have a
suggestion on the video problem? Is this a chassis problem or something
else? Also, are there any good web-sites out there someone can suggest
for Defender tech information?

Thanks a ton!
Tom

Did you try the horizontal hold on the monitor? If it looks like it's lost
sync that could be it. You didn't mention if you tried the monitor or not.
Can you hear the game playing? You should be able to burn yourself a new
ROM if needed. Just get the Mame Romset and it should be in there. If you
can't figure it out you can always send the boards to Andre at
www.arcadesolution.com He does great work.

Scott

"Thomas Loos" <tomloos@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> I am a newbie to Williams games and am having trouble with a Defender
> Cocktail that I bought working last year. I powered it up last week and
> it had a video problem. The monitor was getting signal, but it looked
> like a horizontal-hold problem. I tried to re-seat the roms, but then I
> broke a leg on ROM 10 on the ROM board. I have replaced EPROMS for
> other games before, I have an eraser and programmer, but these chips are
> ROMs. How do I go about replacing this chip, and does anyone have a
> suggestion on the video problem? Is this a chassis problem or something
> else? Also, are there any good web-sites out there someone can suggest
> for Defender tech information?
>
> Thanks a ton!
> Tom

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

I did mess with any knobs that I found on the monitor but none seemed to
affect the sync. Maybe I didn't find the correct knob... I can hear
the game playing, and can tell that it goes through the boot up
sequence. Can I burn a rom on an eprom burner? I tried doing a google
search for the part number of the rom that has a broken leg and didn't
find anything. Any idea what type of roms these are?
Thanks,
Tom

thrushguy wrote:
> Did you try the horizontal hold on the monitor? If it looks like it's lost
> sync that could be it. You didn't mention if you tried the monitor or not.
> Can you hear the game playing? You should be able to burn yourself a new
> ROM if needed. Just get the Mame Romset and it should be in there. If you
> can't figure it out you can always send the boards to Andre at
> www.arcadesolution.com He does great work.
>
> Scott
>

> "Thomas Loos" <tomloos@zoominternet.net> wrote in message
>
>>I am a newbie to Williams games and am having trouble with a Defender
>>Cocktail that I bought working last year. I powered it up last week and
>> it had a video problem. The monitor was getting signal, but it looked
>>like a horizontal-hold problem. I tried to re-seat the roms, but then I
>>broke a leg on ROM 10 on the ROM board. I have replaced EPROMS for
>>other games before, I have an eraser and programmer, but these chips are
>>ROMs. How do I go about replacing this chip, and does anyone have a
>>suggestion on the video problem? Is this a chassis problem or something
>>else? Also, are there any good web-sites out there someone can suggest
>>for Defender tech information?
>>
>>Thanks a ton!
>>Tom

> News==----
>
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>
> Newsgroups
>
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>
> =----

Andre

You got mail......thanks for the plug Scott