Can't reinstall IE 6

I need to repair IE 6.0
I went to the following page.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/#XSLTH3140121123120121120120
I did the following procedure:
Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Reinstall or repair Windows XP
To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP,
complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:
1. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
your computer: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
1 installation medium.

Windows File Protection ran for a short time then I got the message:
"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the
DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD now." I did and got the
menu. When I clicked on Install XP I got the message "Setup cannot continue
because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on
the CD." So the Windows File Protection was never completed so I couldn't do
the next step (testing).

What did I do wrong? Please help

map

"plushkrazee" wrote:

> I need to repair IE 6.0
> I went to the following page.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/#XSLTH3140121123120121120120
> I did the following procedure:
> Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Reinstall or repair Windows XP
> To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP,
> complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:
> 1. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
> your computer: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
> b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
> Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
> 1 installation medium.
>
> Windows File Protection ran for a short time then I got the message:
> "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the
> DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD now." I did and got the
> menu. When I clicked on Install XP I got the message "Setup cannot continue
> because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on
> the CD." So the Windows File Protection was never completed so I couldn't do
> the next step (testing).
>
> What did I do wrong? Please help

You get that error msg if you have installed SP2 and your XP disc is SP1
change the source path for the system file checker step #2 below
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

This might also be of some help for you.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm