Arrow Keys Don't Work

April 22, 2005 11:50:06 PM

I'm having major problems booting up my Windows XP. It won't go past the
welcome screen. So I'm trying to go into safe mode to do the "Last Known
Good Configuration" but when I get into safe mode, my arrow keys won't work!
The timer expires and I'm stuck again and have to reboot all over again.
I've tried holding down num lock but it does no good. HELP!!

Thanks!

--
Julie

More about : arrow keys work

April 23, 2005 3:06:22 AM

In news:C23F9D9E-036C-4811-9883-DE5F0A509DE3@microsoft.com,
Julie <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I'm having major problems booting up my Windows XP. It won't go past
> the welcome screen. So I'm trying to go into safe mode to do the
> "Last Known Good Configuration" but when I get into safe mode, my
> arrow keys won't work! The timer expires and I'm stuck again and have
> to reboot all over again. I've tried holding down num lock but it
> does no good. HELP!!
>
> Thanks!

Have you tried an alternate keyboard?

Galen
April 23, 2005 6:15:59 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:50:06 -0700, "Julie"
<Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm having major problems booting up my Windows XP. It won't go past the
>welcome screen. So I'm trying to go into safe mode to do the "Last Known
>Good Configuration" but when I get into safe mode, my arrow keys won't work!
>The timer expires and I'm stuck again and have to reboot all over again.
>I've tried holding down num lock but it does no good. HELP!!

So I suppose you don't know if any other keys work?

This might be a long shot but sometimes I find my normal keys not
working and I tap a few times on CTRL and ALT (they seem to get stuck)
and then everything back to normal. In other words, ALT or CTRL being
stuck on makes the keyboard interpret, say S, as ALT-S. If ALT is
stuck then it would be trying to interpret arrows as ALT-Arrow which
does nothing.

--
OzBo
!