Reformatting

I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I followed
instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say that
my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall of
XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an 80G
hard disc...?
Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

curt

Programs>administrative tools>computer management. Open comp management,
look for disk management in the left pane and select it. Your system
partition and remaining unallocated space will be shown. R/C in the
unallocated space to create additional partitions.

--
Curt,
'The way is open to those who would see'

"Justin Ashlock" <JustinAshlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
>followed
> instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say
> that
> my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall
> of
> XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an
> 80G
> hard disc...?
> Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
> partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

Right click My Computer, Select Manage, then Disk Management. You can
format the partition there.

"Justin Ashlock" <JustinAshlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
>followed
> instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say
> that
> my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall
> of
> XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an
> 80G
> hard disc...?
> Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
> partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

Hi RonK --

I've tried this afew times since reading your and Curt's posts -- it keeps
popping up an error message: " The disk configuration operation didnot
complete. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error.
Verify the status of your storage devices before retrying.If that does not
solve the problem close the disk management console, then restart disk
management or restart the computer." I've already tried restarting disk
management -- now I'm going to post this and restart the computer and then
I'm gonna check back here to see if you've replied since I don't have much
faith in simply restarting the computer... I have this really paranoid idea
that I've totally screwed something up..."RonK" wrote:

> Right click My Computer, Select Manage, then Disk Management. You can
> format the partition there.
>

> "Justin Ashlock" <JustinAshlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
> >followed
> > instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> > Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say
> > that
> > my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall
> > of
> > XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> > partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an
> > 80G
> > hard disc...?
> > Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
> > partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

Hi Justin,

Perhaps I misunderstood your intentions in your original thread.........I
thought that you had mistakenly only partitioned the 15G of the 80G drive,
and were wanting to reincorporate the remaining 65G into the primary
partition. If you were wanting to keep the XP partition at 15G and partition
the remaining 65G as logical drive(s) in an extended partition, then you can
use XP's built-in Disk Management tool ((Control Panel>Administrative
Tools>Computer Management>expand Storage in left pane>Disk Management or go
to Start>Run and key in diskmgmt.msc then click on OK or hit ENTER). In the
lower pane on the right, it should show the remaining 65G as unallocated or
unpartitioned. Right-click in the area that is unpartitioned/unallocated,
and choose to create an extended partition that incoporates the 65G. Once
that has been created, you can then create logical drive(s) in the extended
partition. Bear in mind that if you want the logical drive(s) to be
formatted FAT32 vs. NTFS, XP's built-in disk management is limited to
formatting FAT32 volumes that are 32G or less (the 32G limit does not apply
to formatting NTFS).

Until your entire hard drive has been partitioned, viewing your hard disk
properties in My Computer will only display the amount of the hard drive
that has been partitioned.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Justin Ashlock" <JustinAshlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
followed
> instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say
that
> my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall
of
> XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an
80G
> hard disc...?
> Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
> partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

Hey Patti --

I just downloaded "Partition Magic", and the readme file has all kinds of
warnings about conflicts with "System Restore" and "Norton GoBack" -- any
advice before I install this thing?

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood your intentions in your original thread.........I
> thought that you had mistakenly only partitioned the 15G of the 80G drive,
> and were wanting to reincorporate the remaining 65G into the primary
> partition. If you were wanting to keep the XP partition at 15G and partition
> the remaining 65G as logical drive(s) in an extended partition, then you can
> use XP's built-in Disk Management tool ((Control Panel>Administrative
> Tools>Computer Management>expand Storage in left pane>Disk Management or go
> to Start>Run and key in diskmgmt.msc then click on OK or hit ENTER). In the
> lower pane on the right, it should show the remaining 65G as unallocated or
> unpartitioned. Right-click in the area that is unpartitioned/unallocated,
> and choose to create an extended partition that incoporates the 65G. Once
> that has been created, you can then create logical drive(s) in the extended
> partition. Bear in mind that if you want the logical drive(s) to be
> formatted FAT32 vs. NTFS, XP's built-in disk management is limited to
> formatting FAT32 volumes that are 32G or less (the 32G limit does not apply
> to formatting NTFS).
>
> Until your entire hard drive has been partitioned, viewing your hard disk
> properties in My Computer will only display the amount of the hard drive
> that has been partitioned.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Justin Ashlock" <JustinAshlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
> followed
> > instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> > Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties say
> that
> > my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the reinstall
> of
> > XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> > partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of an
> 80G
> > hard disc...?
> > Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I didn't
> > partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP Home?

Hi Justin,

I take it that you did not resolve the problem that you were incurring when
you attempted to use XP's built-in Disk Management utility, which you
mentioned in your response to RonK, and that is why you're now going to try
Partition Magic. If so, then the "problem" that is preventing you from using
Disk Management *may* also affect Partition Magic, I don't know for certain.
Did you check the System Event Log for Error information?

If you still want to go ahead and give Partition Magic a try (make sure you
backup to removable media any "loathe to lose" information that you may have
already stored on your computer), disable System Restore first to prevent
any possible conflicts. AFAIK, GoBack is not compatible with XP, so it's
unlikely that you have it installed.......unless, of course, a more recent
version is compatible with XP and you have it installed. If so, disable
GoBack.

If you have a floppy drive on your computer, it may be best for you to
create the Rescue Diskettes when you install Partition Magic. You can then
run the Partition Magic program by booting from the Rescue Diskettes instead
of from within Windows.

Regards,

--

> [...]
> > > I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled wndows XP -- I
> > followed
> > > instructions regardin partitioning according to step 10b of the "Clean
> > > Reinstall" webpage by Michael Stevens -- now my hard disc properties
say
> > that
> > > my C drive has a 15G capacity (the amount I partitioned in the
reinstall
> > of
> > > XP Home), and I have no idea how to access the other 65G that I didn't
> > > partition -- it seems as though I've crioppled myself to only 15G of
an
> > 80G
> > > hard disc...?
> > > Can anyone tell me how to access and use the remaining 65G that I
didn't
> > > partition or format in the original setup and reinstallation of XP

main advice, is that since your system has nothing important on it, you
shouldn't be so hesitant about trying things. the more things you try,
the more chance of finding a solution. The way you'll solve this
problem may well be to delete the partition and try to create it again
a different way. Experiment, think of diff things to try and try them
without any fear. The worst thing that could happen, is you could
format your HDD ;)

What HDD do you have? (make and model). I ask this because perhaps
there is a specific issue regarding it and a 15GB lmiit if wrongly
configured.

You could ignore all warnings given by partition magic since you have
nothing to lose. Start partition magic, and look at how it describes
the hard drive. It will tell you the capacity of the hard drive, and
the size of the partition within the hard drive.

Does partition magic report that you have a 60GB Hard drive, with a
15GB partition?
Or does it mistakenly report that you have a 15GB Hard drive?

If it reports that you have a 60GB HDD with a 15GB partition, then
there will be an option to *resize* the 15GB partition to 60GB. You
would right click the 1GB patritino and click resize and enter '60' and
click ok.

If it reports that you have a 15GB hard drive then it's most probably a
HDD issue.

note-(I don't think it'd be a BIOS issue, i've never experienced the
BIOS making an error like that. With the BIOS I've found that it either
detects the big HDD or not. if the hard drive is too big to be
recognised, it just doesn't recognise it. I've never seen it limit the
HDD size. As a last resort if many many other things don't work, then i
wouldn't rule out flashing the BIOS)

If you're afraid to restart your comp then you'll never solve it
because you'll never try anything.

You should be looking forward to restarting your comp because nothing
can go wrong, and you can try loads of things. and learn lots from it
at now cost.

You have partition magic. Use it, it's very powerful and easy to use.
It can tell you what is going on and fix it. And if it can't fix it,
then it narrows it down to a HDD issue.

off topic, i recall you mentioning somehwre about a cd drive not
working. Put a working internal cd drive in there ASAP. You'll need it
anyway. Even if you don't have to reinstall windows. (though if you
have trouble installing an internal cd drive it would just give you
another problem to deal with).