Tech: Centipede trackball

Just replaced the rollers, bearings, and ball on my centipede trackball.
It's better now, but the ball still doesn't roll as freely as I would like.
Any tips?

Chuk wrote:
> Just replaced the rollers, bearings, and ball on my centipede
trackball.
> It's better now, but the ball still doesn't roll as freely as I would
like.
> Any tips?

Yep... John use the all in one oil on the bearings. Atari games
recommend it. Once you dab a little on the bearings, the ball will fly.

John

I did the same thing on my Tri-Sports and had the same problem. The ball
you took out was worn a bit smaller so it fit loosely. With the new ball
being the proper size. it gets snug inside the housing. I put a washer at
every screw part to open the case slightly, and it moves like a gem.

Bill

"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in

> Just replaced the rollers, bearings, and ball on my centipede
> trackball. It's better now, but the ball still doesn't roll as freely
> as I would like. Any tips?

Grab a can of Radio Shacks 'Electronic Cleaner' It will
Eat the thick grease and dirt from the bearings... then
dissapear like magic. The thing will spin forever afterwords.

If concerned about wear, can add some 3-in-1 oil after
the cleaning. Though, I doubt there would be much wear
from a non industrial, non fulltime arcade enviiornment.

You can also spin the bearings in a high speed drill. This will break them
in. You can put an old roller in the drill, chuck it tight and use that to
spin the bearing. Second the three in one oil, but even that doesn't get it
spinning that freely IMHO.

I noticed the same thing, since the new bearings have either dried
lube, too thick lube, or protectant applied that makes them feel too
stiff.

After fooling around with brake parts cleaner, I finally loosened up a
set to work okay. Now I just order new rollers and use the old
bearings each time. Even very old nasty bearings can be cleaned and
lubed to work fine in a trackball application. I had a rusty set on a
Missle Command that were frozen, but after using WD-40 and a drill to
spin them along with a few more flushes of WD-40, they worked like new.

Mike Doyle

Break it in the way it was designed and the way I broke mine in.......play
the hell out of it. :)

--
Daniel
The Vintage Geek

"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> Just replaced the rollers, bearings, and ball on my centipede trackball.
> It's better now, but the ball still doesn't roll as freely as I would
> like. Any tips?

I always use my wire brush on my bench grinder to break them free. I keep
them on the rollers and put a finger on the other side of the roller so it
doesn't come off and just let the wire brush spin the hell outta them.
They'll really torque up some speed on that thing and if they're rusty they
come out shiny new too. The little bit of metal that the brush might take
off isn't an issue since the outer housing isn't supposed to move anyway.
Jim aka Devilman aka arcade rehab said that gun oil is the stuff that really
gets them moving and spinning for days. I just use vegetable oil in my
guns.
Scott

www.agelessarcade.com

<syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I noticed the same thing, since the new bearings have either dried
> lube, too thick lube, or protectant applied that makes them feel too
> stiff.
>
> After fooling around with brake parts cleaner, I finally loosened up a
> set to work okay. Now I just order new rollers and use the old
> bearings each time. Even very old nasty bearings can be cleaned and
> lubed to work fine in a trackball application. I had a rusty set on a
> Missle Command that were frozen, but after using WD-40 and a drill to
> spin them along with a few more flushes of WD-40, they worked like new.
>
> Mike Doyle

honestly, even after a rebuild its never as nice as a brand new unit
(not the imitations) the exact atari replacement ($75) from bob
roberts.
fos some reasons, the new bearings dont roll as smooth as the old style
"non precision" bearings. they seem stiff.