Windows Explorer hangs on right click

I've been having this problem for a while. Everytime I try to right-click any
directory in Windows Explorer to choose options, explorer hangs. Even if I
use the short-cut button on my laptop to call up the menu, explorer hangs
too. Can anyone help?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer hangs click

    "eladi" <eladi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been having this problem for a while. Everytime I try to right-click
    > any
    > directory in Windows Explorer to choose options, explorer hangs. Even if I
    > use the short-cut button on my laptop to call up the menu, explorer hangs
    > too. Can anyone help?

    Let me guess. Not only do you have a very long delay (up to 2 minutes or so)
    after right-clicking any *drive* letter before the menu will appear after an
    apparent time-out, but the same holds true if you try to right-click or
    double-click any My Network Places folder item? But from within Windows
    Explorer you can right-click any folder that does *not* contain any network
    related icons? And the problem exists even if you boot in Safe Mode? And you
    first noticed this sometime after the last Microsoft provided updates
    earlier this month (April 2005)? Additionally, network timeouts might occur
    with Outlook or OE and instant messengers but, surprisingly, not with IE6?

    Well, me too and I still have a trouble ticket open with Microsoft on this
    (and "Usha" has not replied as of FRI 22APR05 to my follow-up email on THU
    21APR05, which is not nice at all and so I guess we'll now continue the
    ticket only by phone from here out). In trying to solve this problem of mine
    I reinstalled XP-Pro over itself just fine, did all the updates again, but
    the problem remained. Eventually I decided to boot into Diagnostic Mode, and
    things went badly downhill from there. I got the reactivation screen but the
    product code would not show. It thought (quite and very wrongfully) that
    there had been a substantial hardware change! When rebooted back to normal
    mode, though, the reactivation window again reappeared but with the product
    code and I was able to reactivate by phone. After that, no more delays if I
    boot in normal, safe, or selective startup mode but they still exist in
    diagnostic mode startup. I've not yet gotten this issue resolved to my
    satisfaction, but I'm publicly interested here about how many others are
    having this same "long delay" problem and if it seems to have appeared only
    after the scheduled XP updates in early April 2005 or not. For those who do
    NOT have your original XP installation CD (i.e. those who purchased their
    computer with XP already installed on it), and a copy of someone else's
    surely will not do, I must caution that booting into diagnostic mode (if you
    have that "long delay" problem) via usage of msconfig might end up causing a
    total lockout because only the computer manufacture vendor (Dell, HP, or
    whatever) supports such installations and Microsoft will *not* support it
    nor provide a reactivation code if you don't have the retail version of XP
    and the original installation CD in hand. :(

    However, one solution might be that you have disconnected remote computer
    icon links in My Network Places, or folders elsewhere that link to shared
    resources on other computers that are no longer accessible; and if so you
    need to delete those folders. If this proves to have been the problem then
    realize that the solution generally is that one should always use a "mapped
    drive" method of accessing remote machine shared resources instead of just
    using shortcut links to them.

    Tech Maven

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "eladi" <eladi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been having this problem for a while. Everytime I try to right-click
    > any
    > directory in Windows Explorer to choose options, explorer hangs. Even if I
    > use the short-cut button on my laptop to call up the menu, explorer hangs
    > too. Can anyone help?

Windows Explorer Explorer Microsoft Windows XP