Is it possible (legally or actually) to purchase a static IP address, and have other people in my city have access to the net (HTML & pop3 mostly) through my IP as subnets?

For example I purchase an IP and I get myself a 2Mb/s package, and subnet out to say 20 people, offering them all 100K minimum for less than the current 56K prices.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i suppose, you could buy a class c address, get a router, have the phone co set up t-1 or somthing, then some how run cat5 over to their houses. but if you offer it to them lower than the local dial up prices you would not make your money back for several years. t-1 cost maybe 300 a month, router im not sure on, at least a couple hundred, install the cat 5 is a pain in the ass to begin with. oh and you would have to pay for the class c, dont know how much that is. then you would have to offer some kind of support to them. wouldnt be proffitable.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ive thought about splitting the cost of dsl with my neigbor, just run a cable from my router to their house and they pay half. but i really didnt want to deal with them leaving file sharing programs open and people stealing all the bandwidth, then having to deal with them calling when its not working, just too much trouble for 25 bucks a month.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.