Faster X800XT than expected.

Could be in reaction to rumours of early GF6800 being detuned NV40s, and thus wanting everything available.

So suppoesedly nV performs better in 3Dmk03, but ATI performs better in games. It'll be interesting to see he actual breakdown of 3Dmk03 as the total tells very little.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15617" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15617</A>

I also question the 600mhz theoretical max. XbitLabs said the same a while back, but I've seen a bunch of people crank their R9600XT and V-moded PROs to over 600 (with positive results [not losing ground above 600]). So I have a feeling that it's somewhere close t0 about 615 (where most XTs crap out). That being the case, the NV40 may have more OC potential out of the box. Guess we'll only know once they are seriously cranked.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Also new approved drivers (6.14.10.6444) for the R420's release at Futuremark;

<A HREF="http://www.futuremark.com/community/drivers/?approved" target="_new">http://www.futuremark.com/community/drivers/?approved</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Interesting. If they're cranking up frequencies pre-release to make a difference, it's reasonable to assume that the X800XT will be very close in performance to the 6800 Ultra.

If this is the case, the 6800U may get the crown by default due to the featureset.
Although if Nvidia would just stop fudging things with their TWIMTBP and optimization bull$hit, I'd be alot happier recommending them.

It'll certainly be an interesting couple weeks, coming up.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The more I read, the more I want to see NUMBERS from ATI X800. ATI deserve to be at least equal to nVidia in gaming performance. And from what I read about the 6800, I'm disapointed to see that nVidia seems to still cheats us!

PS1.1 vs PS3.0 instead of PS2.0 vs PS3.0
FarCry IQ problems
3DMark03 optimisation

I can't believe we hear the same story again and again from nVidia...

--
<b><font color=red>GO!</font color=red> <font color=blue>HABS!</font color=blue> <font color=red>GO!</font color=red></b>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I agree with you. I want to see some numbers!! now!!! And preferably both without cheaptimizations.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
uh-oh.....this is bad.......reeeeal bad....
good thing is i can still said
"my ATi card is faster than nVidia!!!"

or as Kinney would say
"THIS IS ALL PR JUNK!!!"
lolz

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

"THIS IS ALL PR JUNK!!!"
Actually I think it's me who said that.

It's all speculation, but it is all we have until next week unfortunately. I make no claims on a winner, I'm waiting to decide, but actions like this make me think, 'I wonder why?'

Soon we will KNOW.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I really hope nVidia wins T_T

Yep, I agree, but I think it's upped in response to the rumours of a FASTER 6800U coming, more than just have the X800<b>XT</b> match the current GF6800U. But who knows.

The thing that this makes me think though is that they will be speeding up the transition to the R500(old R400) part because they will have very little refresh speed clock jumps room left on this core. If you are already cranking the silicon up this much at launch that can't leave you much performance room left other than a few mhz on the core and major memory boosts (which will have selective results). Whereas the NV40 would get greater benifit from their cores ability to move up the speed chart, especially if they finally get over their fears of Low-K.

We'll see, but I think that does make the situation interesting.

I'm also wondering if the X880 will launch at the same or higher clocks (lower would be foolish but could be done for marketing PR reasons). One would expect the X880 to be at least the same speed but it is a new core and may have some peculiarities that may have to be considered.

Yes, as you say should be quite interesting.

Really?

So surprising considering your siggy. :tongue:

Acutally I hope it's a convuluted mess of a tie (close match), that way both will compete like dogs to win the next release.
Also, if you thought you had Fanboism last generation if they are close this generation it'll be nutz! :evil:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Couple more days Ape, couple more days.....

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

pauldh

Illustrious
I asked, you once again deliver. Thanks for helping the wait go by faster? :wink:

They have quite the little game going don't they. I hope by some chance the ATI card that was a little behind NV40 in 3dmark03 ends up somehow being the pro not the XT. That would be nice.

But yup, we will soon see. Well part of the story anyhow. As you have said before, it will take a while before real conclusions can be drawn.

And good point about the near max clock speeds at release. Wouldn't it be nice if it pushed up R500 and NV?. Maybe then I could sooner afford to buy R420 or NV40.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

If the R500 and NV50 were out believe me, the idea of an R42X and NV40 would pale very quickly. Especially the R42X. Why go with the 24bit PS2.X model if ATI's R500 were out there, and even an SE version were soon to market?

I don't know man.

In any case there is an R480 on ATI's roadmap and likely an equivalent part from nV (NV48/9?) so there's still that to wait through at the very least, unless they canabalize a part.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
the day 6800Ultra PWNS X800XT is the day I do some serious fanboyism+ flaming

pauldh

Illustrious
If the R500 and NV50 were out believe me, the idea of an R42X and NV40 would pale very quickly.
Yeah I guess so. I wasn't thinking about just what R500 might bring to the table.

My thinking was along the line that I usually wait until the top cards are $200-$250. I have a hard time buying a CPU or Graphics card for over $200 when I am footing the bill.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Now the way I see it, the smart thing is to upgrade in parts like you are. Selling an old card and using part of those proceeds for the $200-250 cards. But I wouldn't wait too long. Funny thing is that you COULD bypass your next upgrade and move straight to an R480/500 or NV48/9/50 and end up with the same expeditures for their lower 'non' versions of the cards, but then you'd miss out on owning the NV40/5 or R42X for that generation.

Really it's all about preferences. Getting the NV45/R423 early doesn't make sense, but it sure will be fun. :evil:

I just wish there were an new version of ElderScrolls for me to enjoy it all the more. :cool: