Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk Defrag: Cannot defrag files that aren't there!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:34:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
after the defrag (5%)

Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.

I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
in the search. Nothing was found.

These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
even find them!

Any suggestions?

Thanks you.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:39:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try control-panel,folder options,locate the box "show hidden files/folders",
then try search again.

"Tiny Alice" wrote:

> At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
> defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
> after the defrag (5%)
>
> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
>
> I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
> did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
> in the search. Nothing was found.
>
> These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
> are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
> hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
> even find them!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks you.
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It is set that way. Always has been.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:39:01 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
wrote:

> Try control-panel,folder options,locate the box "show hidden files/folders",
> then try search again.
>
>"Tiny Alice" wrote:
>
>> At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
>> defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
>> after the defrag (5%)
>>
>> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
>>
>> I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
>> did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
>> in the search. Nothing was found.
>>
>> These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
>> are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
>> hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
>> even find them!
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks you.
>>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:12:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Still in Recycle Bin?



> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Nope. Recycle bin is empty. I routinely empty it almost every day, and
definitely before a defrag.

Thanks though. Any other Ideas?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:12:18 +1000, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Still in Recycle Bin?
>
>
>
>> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
>>
>
April 23, 2005 11:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

One other thought..do you use Norton and have Norton protected Recycle
bin?
The protected files might need emptying.

--
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.
Joe Martin

"Tiny Alice" <tiny@alice.net> wrote in message
news:D i6l619u8br9qo88no6t6ssfvjvolvmg6m@4ax.com...
| Nope. Recycle bin is empty. I routinely empty it almost every day,
and
| definitely before a defrag.
|
| Thanks though. Any other Ideas?
|
| On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:12:18 +1000, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
| REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
|
| >Still in Recycle Bin?
| >
| >
| >
| >> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted
them.
| >>
| >
|
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:12:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No. I don't use Norton. But here's another wierd thing. I defragged
for the fifth time in a day and a half, and now the files are gone...

Bizaar....

Thanks for the input, but I guess I will never know what caused this.



On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "Ricky"
<rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote:

>One other thought..do you use Norton and have Norton protected Recycle
>bin?
>The protected files might need emptying.
!