Disk Defrag: Cannot defrag files that aren't there!

At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
after the defrag (5%)

Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.

I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
in the search. Nothing was found.

These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
even find them!

Any suggestions?

Thanks you.
6 answers Last reply
More about disk defrag defrag files aren there

    Try control-panel,folder options,locate the box "show hidden files/folders",
    then try search again.

    "Tiny Alice" wrote:

    > At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
    > defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
    > after the defrag (5%)
    >
    > Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
    >
    > I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
    > did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
    > in the search. Nothing was found.
    >
    > These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
    > are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
    > hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
    > even find them!
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks you.

    It is set that way. Always has been.

    Any other ideas?

    Thank you

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:39:01 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > Try control-panel,folder options,locate the box "show hidden files/folders",
    > then try search again.
    >
    >"Tiny Alice" wrote:
    >
    >> At the end of a routine defrag, the report said it could not
    >> defragment a long list of files. And fragmentation was relatively high
    >> after the defrag (5%)
    >>
    >> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.
    >>
    >> I thought that maybe, somehow, I had made them into hidden files, so I
    >> did a complete disc search for them, including hidden and system files
    >> in the search. Nothing was found.
    >>
    >> These files have one thing in common. They are (Were) MPG files. They
    >> are large files, most of them over a gig, and fragmented into
    >> hundreds, even thousands of parts. So I can't defrag them, and I can't
    >> even find them!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks you.

    Still in Recycle Bin?

    > Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.

    Nope. Recycle bin is empty. I routinely empty it almost every day, and
    definitely before a defrag.

    Thanks though. Any other Ideas?

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:12:18 +1000, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
    REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Still in Recycle Bin?
    >

    >> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted them.

    One other thought..do you use Norton and have Norton protected Recycle
    bin?
    The protected files might need emptying.

    --
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
    foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

    "Tiny Alice" <tiny@alice.net> wrote in message
    | Nope. Recycle bin is empty. I routinely empty it almost every day,
    and
    | definitely before a defrag.
    |
    | Thanks though. Any other Ideas?
    |
    | On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:12:18 +1000, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
    | REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
    |
    | >Still in Recycle Bin?
    | >

    | >> Problem is, these files do not exist anymore. I have deleted
    them.

    No. I don't use Norton. But here's another wierd thing. I defragged
    for the fifth time in a day and a half, and now the files are gone...

    Bizaar....

    Thanks for the input, but I guess I will never know what caused this.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "Ricky"
    <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote:

    >One other thought..do you use Norton and have Norton protected Recycle
    >bin?
    >The protected files might need emptying.

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP