WinXP-when I click on the start menu, system slows down

Yea, sorry I can't be more specific.
My computer suddenly started running slowly, my CPU usage being at 100%,
after a small irc program was installed. At first I suspected a virus ...

In my first re-boot I did get a CMOS Checksum error
but that problem has dissappeared.
I have an up to date virus scanner.
I have completed a complete system virus scan.
I have uninstalled the irc add-on program.
My HD's are regularily defragged.
I have run chkdsk.
I have tried restoring to an earlier point.

More about winxp when click start menu system slows down

    "para-dice" <para-dice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yea, sorry I can't be more specific.
    > My computer suddenly started running slowly, my CPU usage being at
    > 100%,
    > after a small irc program was installed. At first I suspected a virus
    >
    > In my first re-boot I did get a CMOS Checksum error
    > but that problem has dissappeared.
    > I have an up to date virus scanner.
    > I have completed a complete system virus scan.
    > I have uninstalled the irc add-on program.
    > My HD's are regularily defragged.
    > I have run chkdsk.
    > I have tried restoring to an earlier point.

    Check for spyware, malware, or adware. The following list is FREE
    programs.

    Spybot - search and destroy

    Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Trend Micro Housecall

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    I would suggest using all three since once cannot find them all.

    --
    William

    Thanks for your response!

    You know what it was ... let me give you some background.

    I was on irc for the first time in 2 years, having a long conversation with
    some guys about the football team "Oranje"

    and then when I went to winxp start panel my system slowed down severly
    and stayed that way. Took a minute to open an app ...

    so I check the system processes are open, one non-M$ system process is
    cheweing 90%.

    so I am thinking virus right? Well I have a router, uptodate firewall and SP2.

    anyways ... i do the virus system scan and find nothing.

    I end up trying to repaid XP ...

    still slow!

    Then I check and see ... that program has resided since [a date here]

    then i discover that the latest 'pattern' file from my scanning company
    should be uninstalled ...

    "WTC" wrote:

    > "para-dice" <para-dice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yea, sorry I can't be more specific.
    > > My computer suddenly started running slowly, my CPU usage being at
    > > 100%,
    > > after a small irc program was installed. At first I suspected a virus
    > >
    > > In my first re-boot I did get a CMOS Checksum error
    > > but that problem has dissappeared.
    > > I have an up to date virus scanner.
    > > I have completed a complete system virus scan.
    > > I have uninstalled the irc add-on program.
    > > My HD's are regularily defragged.
    > > I have run chkdsk.
    > > I have tried restoring to an earlier point.

    > Check for spyware, malware, or adware. The following list is FREE
    > programs.
    >
    > Spybot - search and destroy
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >

    > Adaware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >

    > Trend Micro Housecall
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    >

    > I would suggest using all three since once cannot find them all.
    >

    > --
    > William

Virus Start Menu Windows XP