Where's all the friggin' software links?!

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 31, 2005 3:10:38 PM

The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all the
software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I lost
my retail cd.

It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?

More about : friggin software links

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:10:39 PM

Follow the links in "How to update your . . . " here:
http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn I don't know which Microsoft Broadband
Networking hardware you're running, but you'll see additional links to
individual products.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all the
> software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
> lost my retail cd.
>
> It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:59:05 PM

When I went to
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
I was redirected to
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking.m... and I cannot get
to the Broadband Networking page.

"Chris H." wrote:

> Follow the links in "How to update your . . . " here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn I don't know which Microsoft Broadband
> Networking hardware you're running, but you'll see additional links to
> individual products.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all the
> > software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
> > lost my retail cd.
> >
> > It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?

July 31, 2005 5:20:04 PM

Use the link I supplied in my message: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
--

"Cary D" <CaryD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I went to
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
> I was redirected to
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking.m... and I cannot
> get
> to the Broadband Networking page.
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> Follow the links in "How to update your . . . " here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn I don't know which Microsoft
>> Broadband
>> Networking hardware you're running, but you'll see additional links to
>> individual products.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all
>> > the
>> > software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
>> > lost my retail cd.
>> >
>> > It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?

July 31, 2005 7:19:41 PM

"Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all the
> software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
> lost my retail cd.
>
> It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?

Try here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445#XSLTH31511211211...

Mikey
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:19:42 PM

The official site is now: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
--

"Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all the
>> software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
>> lost my retail cd.
>>
>> It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?
>>

> Try here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445#XSLTH31511211211...
>
> Mikey

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:39:37 AM

I wish Microsoft wouldn't break all the links to everything
on its web site every other month. Would it be too much
trouble to leave stub/forwarding pages in place of the
(re)moved pages? It sure would save an awful lot of people
an awful lot of trouble.

I just burned a full half hour on the phone to Microsoft,
mostly in hold queues, but including conversations with two
different support people (in Bombay), because of this
problem. I had installed XP SP2, and promptly got a message
saying that my Microsoft Broadband Networking (for my
Microsoft brand MN-520 PCMCIA WiFi card) had a
known compatibility issue with this version of Windows,
and it gave me a phone number and a web link to get an
updated version of Microsoft Broadband Networking
which works with this version of Windows. Here's the
message:

Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility
issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is
compatible with this version of Windows, contact Microsoft
Broadband Networking.
Contact Information:
Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking
Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)

But when I went to that web site, there were no downloads
to be found. So I ended up wasting a half hour on the phone
to a (toll) number at Microsoft, just to find out where to get
the download: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn

The fact that Microsoft is notorious for doing this soft of
thing for years, and continues to do it, is just more proof of
how little regard it has for its customers. Microsoft just can't
be bothered to care about how much trouble they put
their customers to.

(Here's another symptom of that attitude problem at Microsoft:
15 minutes into a 45 minute OS install, it stops and asks you
for your TIME ZONE. Cummon, gimme a break! Like it
couldn't have asked that question at the beginning (or the end)?
Obviously it could have, if anyone at M$ cared about how
much of their customers' time they waste.)

-Dave

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The official site is now: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> The broadband networking page at microsoft.com is dead. Where's all
the
> >> software? I want to download everything and burn to cd for backup as I
> >> lost my retail cd.
> >>
> >> It used to be a www.microsoft.com/broadbandnetworking, where'd it go?
> >>

> > Try here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445#XSLTH31511211211...
> >
> > Mikey
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:39:38 AM

Your issues are a reason why I posted the correct location, Dave. I
certainly raised the problem as soon as I discovered the error, and at least
they have access now after several very pointed emails spanning several
weeks. We need to remember that Microsoft dropped the networking hardware
about 16 months ago, and we're lucky they didn't just drop the support, too.
--

"Dave Burton" <dave146@burtonsys.com> wrote in message
>I wish Microsoft wouldn't break all the links to everything
> on its web site every other month. Would it be too much
> trouble to leave stub/forwarding pages in place of the
> (re)moved pages? It sure would save an awful lot of people
> an awful lot of trouble.
>
> I just burned a full half hour on the phone to Microsoft,
> mostly in hold queues, but including conversations with two
> different support people (in Bombay), because of this
> problem. I had installed XP SP2, and promptly got a message
> saying that my Microsoft Broadband Networking (for my
> Microsoft brand MN-520 PCMCIA WiFi card) had a
> known compatibility issue with this version of Windows,
> and it gave me a phone number and a web link to get an
> updated version of Microsoft Broadband Networking
> which works with this version of Windows. Here's the
> message:

> Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility
> issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is
> compatible with this version of Windows, contact Microsoft
> Broadband Networking.
> Contact Information:
> Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking
> Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)
>
> But when I went to that web site, there were no downloads
> to be found. So I ended up wasting a half hour on the phone
> to a (toll) number at Microsoft, just to find out where to get
> the download: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
>
> The fact that Microsoft is notorious for doing this soft of
> thing for years, and continues to do it, is just more proof of
> how little regard it has for its customers. Microsoft just can't
> be bothered to care about how much trouble they put
> their customers to.
>
> (Here's another symptom of that attitude problem at Microsoft:
> 15 minutes into a 45 minute OS install, it stops and asks you
> for your TIME ZONE. Cummon, gimme a break! Like it
> couldn't have asked that question at the beginning (or the end)?
> Obviously it could have, if anyone at M$ cared about how
> much of their customers' time they waste.)
>
> -Dave
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:08:57 AM

"and we're lucky they didn't just drop the support, too."

lol - they dropped that 36 months ago...

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Shd14InFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Your issues are a reason why I posted the correct location, Dave. I
> certainly raised the problem as soon as I discovered the error, and at
> least they have access now after several very pointed emails spanning
> several weeks. We need to remember that Microsoft dropped the networking
> hardware about 16 months ago, and we're lucky they didn't just drop the
> support, too.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Dave Burton" <dave146@burtonsys.com> wrote in message
>>I wish Microsoft wouldn't break all the links to everything
>> on its web site every other month. Would it be too much
>> trouble to leave stub/forwarding pages in place of the
>> (re)moved pages? It sure would save an awful lot of people
>> an awful lot of trouble.
>>
>> I just burned a full half hour on the phone to Microsoft,
>> mostly in hold queues, but including conversations with two
>> different support people (in Bombay), because of this
>> problem. I had installed XP SP2, and promptly got a message
>> saying that my Microsoft Broadband Networking (for my
>> Microsoft brand MN-520 PCMCIA WiFi card) had a
>> known compatibility issue with this version of Windows,
>> and it gave me a phone number and a web link to get an
>> updated version of Microsoft Broadband Networking
>> which works with this version of Windows. Here's the
>> message:

>> Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility
>> issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is
>> compatible with this version of Windows, contact Microsoft
>> Broadband Networking.
>> Contact Information:
>> Microsoft Web site:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking
>> Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)
>>
>> But when I went to that web site, there were no downloads
>> to be found. So I ended up wasting a half hour on the phone
>> to a (toll) number at Microsoft, just to find out where to get
>> the download: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
>>
>> The fact that Microsoft is notorious for doing this soft of
>> thing for years, and continues to do it, is just more proof of
>> how little regard it has for its customers. Microsoft just can't
>> be bothered to care about how much trouble they put
>> their customers to.
>>
>> (Here's another symptom of that attitude problem at Microsoft:
>> 15 minutes into a 45 minute OS install, it stops and asks you
>> for your TIME ZONE. Cummon, gimme a break! Like it
>> couldn't have asked that question at the beginning (or the end)?
>> Obviously it could have, if anyone at M$ cared about how
>> much of their customers' time they waste.)
>>
>> -Dave

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:08:58 AM

Microsoft doesn't actively monitor this newsgroup - or others they host.
These are public newsgroups for support by peers.
--

"Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
> "and we're lucky they didn't just drop the support, too."
>
> lol - they dropped that 36 months ago...
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o Shd14InFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Your issues are a reason why I posted the correct location, Dave. I
>> certainly raised the problem as soon as I discovered the error, and at
>> least they have access now after several very pointed emails spanning
>> several weeks. We need to remember that Microsoft dropped the networking
>> hardware about 16 months ago, and we're lucky they didn't just drop the
>> support, too.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Dave Burton" <dave146@burtonsys.com> wrote in message
>>>I wish Microsoft wouldn't break all the links to everything
>>> on its web site every other month. Would it be too much
>>> trouble to leave stub/forwarding pages in place of the
>>> (re)moved pages? It sure would save an awful lot of people
>>> an awful lot of trouble.
>>>
>>> I just burned a full half hour on the phone to Microsoft,
>>> mostly in hold queues, but including conversations with two
>>> different support people (in Bombay), because of this
>>> problem. I had installed XP SP2, and promptly got a message
>>> saying that my Microsoft Broadband Networking (for my
>>> Microsoft brand MN-520 PCMCIA WiFi card) had a
>>> known compatibility issue with this version of Windows,
>>> and it gave me a phone number and a web link to get an
>>> updated version of Microsoft Broadband Networking
>>> which works with this version of Windows. Here's the
>>> message:

>>> Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility
>>> issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is
>>> compatible with this version of Windows, contact Microsoft
>>> Broadband Networking.
>>> Contact Information:
>>> Microsoft Web site:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking
>>> Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)
>>>
>>> But when I went to that web site, there were no downloads
>>> to be found. So I ended up wasting a half hour on the phone
>>> to a (toll) number at Microsoft, just to find out where to get
>>> the download: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
>>>
>>> The fact that Microsoft is notorious for doing this soft of
>>> thing for years, and continues to do it, is just more proof of
>>> how little regard it has for its customers. Microsoft just can't
>>> be bothered to care about how much trouble they put
>>> their customers to.
>>>
>>> (Here's another symptom of that attitude problem at Microsoft:
>>> 15 minutes into a 45 minute OS install, it stops and asks you
>>> for your TIME ZONE. Cummon, gimme a break! Like it
>>> couldn't have asked that question at the beginning (or the end)?
>>> Obviously it could have, if anyone at M$ cared about how
>>> much of their customers' time they waste.)
>>>
>>> -Dave

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:24:57 AM

Yes I know, and somehow that is even funnier.

;-)

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o TEbbLvnFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft doesn't actively monitor this newsgroup - or others they host.
> These are public newsgroups for support by peers.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
>> "and we're lucky they didn't just drop the support, too."
>>
>> lol - they dropped that 36 months ago...
>>

>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Shd14InFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Your issues are a reason why I posted the correct location, Dave. I
>>> certainly raised the problem as soon as I discovered the error, and at
>>> least they have access now after several very pointed emails spanning
>>> several weeks. We need to remember that Microsoft dropped the
>>> networking hardware about 16 months ago, and we're lucky they didn't
>>> just drop the support, too.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Dave Burton" <dave146@burtonsys.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:24:58 AM

How is it funny, Kerry. That's how public newsgroups are run.
--

> Yes I know, and somehow that is even funnier.
>
> ;-)
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o TEbbLvnFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Microsoft doesn't actively monitor this newsgroup - or others they host.
>> These are public newsgroups for support by peers.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "and we're lucky they didn't just drop the support, too."
>>>
>>> lol - they dropped that 36 months ago...
>>>

>>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o Shd14InFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:53:23 AM

OMG. Well, at the risk of having to explain a ;-) to you, I find it
"funny" that MS takes no interest in their products - they just decide to
produce them and then dump them. I might add, dump them without actually
getting them working properly. I appreciate all the work that MVPs like you
do (I really do) and I have even helped some people myself too along the
way, but occasionally I get more than a little bent about MS's cavalier
attitude about stiffing customers.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 4APzvsoFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> How is it funny, Kerry. That's how public newsgroups are run.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
>> Yes I know, and somehow that is even funnier.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o TEbbLvnFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Microsoft doesn't actively monitor this newsgroup - or others they host.
>>> These are public newsgroups for support by peers.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:53:24 AM

Thanks for the kind words. 8-) Actually, if you remember back when the
hardware first went on the market, a couple of the Microsoft guys were
active in this newsgroup. Of course, Microsoft veered in a different
direction, stopped making the hardware and eventually disbanded the product
team in charge more than a year ago.
--

> OMG. Well, at the risk of having to explain a ;-) to you, I find it
> "funny" that MS takes no interest in their products - they just decide to
> produce them and then dump them. I might add, dump them without actually
> getting them working properly. I appreciate all the work that MVPs like
> you do (I really do) and I have even helped some people myself too along
> the way, but occasionally I get more than a little bent about MS's
> cavalier attitude about stiffing customers.
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 4APzvsoFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> How is it funny, Kerry. That's how public newsgroups are run.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Kerry Liles" <me@completely.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Yes I know, and somehow that is even funnier.
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o TEbbLvnFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:36:12 PM

Can you tell me the exact name of the file for the XP compatibility issue.
Is it MSBNSoftware.exe download found here?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking.m...

Update the firmware and software for your Microsoft Broadband networking
devices: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445

Microsoft Broadband Network Utility
If you lose your Microsoft Broadband Networking CD and you have to install
the software on a new computer, download the contents of the installation CD.
To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33104)

"Dave Burton" wrote:

> I wish Microsoft wouldn't break all the links to everything
> on its web site every other month. Would it be too much
> trouble to leave stub/forwarding pages in place of the
> (re)moved pages? It sure would save an awful lot of people
> an awful lot of trouble.
>
> I just burned a full half hour on the phone to Microsoft,
> mostly in hold queues, but including conversations with two
> different support people (in Bombay), because of this
> problem. I had installed XP SP2, and promptly got a message
> saying that my Microsoft Broadband Networking (for my
> Microsoft brand MN-520 PCMCIA WiFi card) had a
> known compatibility issue with this version of Windows,
> and it gave me a phone number and a web link to get an
> updated version of Microsoft Broadband Networking
> which works with this version of Windows. Here's the
> message:

> Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility
> issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is
> compatible with this version of Windows, contact Microsoft
> Broadband Networking.
> Contact Information:
> Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking
> Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)
>
> But when I went to that web site, there were no downloads
> to be found. So I ended up wasting a half hour on the phone
> to a (toll) number at Microsoft, just to find out where to get
> the download: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
>
> The fact that Microsoft is notorious for doing this soft of
> thing for years, and continues to do it, is just more proof of
> how little regard it has for its customers. Microsoft just can't
> be bothered to care about how much trouble they put
> their customers to.
>
> (Here's another symptom of that attitude problem at Microsoft:
> 15 minutes into a 45 minute OS install, it stops and asks you
> for your TIME ZONE. Cummon, gimme a break! Like it
> couldn't have asked that question at the beginning (or the end)?
> Obviously it could have, if anyone at M$ cared about how
> much of their customers' time they waste.)
>
> -Dave
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The official site is now: http://support.microsoft.com/msbbn
> > --
> > Chris H.
> > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> > Associate Expert
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >

> > "Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the

> > > Try here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445#XSLTH31511211211...
> > >
> > > Mikey

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:05:03 PM

Yes. It is not really a compatibility issue so much as the front end
software won't work with XP SP2 (the pretty control panel, etc.) and has
nothing to do with the drivers. If you're using XP to configure your base
station (by going into the IP address in your browser, you don't need the
front end software.
--

!