Last response: in Windows 7
June 25, 2010 6:25:30 PM

Custom Sytem
Intel i7-930
Asus PX58D-E Mobo
6 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel x-25m boot drive
Windows 7 x64

I have been trying to install a webcam on my new system, but have never been able to get the microphone drivers to install properly. Yesterday I tried a Logitech C-200. I talked to Logitech's technical support, who concluded that I had a defective camera. I was doubtful, since a defective camera wouldn't have kept my drivers from installing correctly, right?

Today, I purchased a Micrsoft webcam specifically to avoid the driver issues that kept other webcams from working. I picked up a Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000. As with other webcams, the camera driver installs fine, but the microphone driver does not. When I install, I receive a "Your device did not install properly" message in the lower right hand corner. The Lifecam software does not pick up the camera at all; Skype shows video but does not hear any audio.

In Windows's Device Manager, the camera is listed under "Imaging Devices" as "working properly;" it is listed with an exclamation point icon under "Sound, video, and game controllers." When I right click and have it search for new drivers, the result is that "The best driver software for your device is already installed."

When I right click the exclamation point icon in the device manager and select "properties," under "Device status" it says "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

I have downloaded the latest update to the software from Microsoft, and it does not solve the issue.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and included programs in practically every combination. I have unplugged all but the most essential peripherals (other than mouse, keyboard, primary monitor, and internet), and disabled various other devices (video card HD audio output, integrated Realtek sound card) that I thought might be causing a conflict. None of this has solved the issue. My peripherals include a Lexmark all-in-one printer (USB), a Digidesign M-Box 2 Mini audio workstation (USB) and an HDTV connected as a second monitor. If it were a conflict with one of these pieces of hardware, it wouldn't be an issue anymore when I unplug them, right?

I've been scouring the internet for tips, but the only thing that I hadn't tried suggested deleting the leftover registry entries from the Logitech webcam. Tried it, with no success.

Worst come to worst, I'll spring for a $5 separate microphone, but I really don't think that should be necessary. Anyone have any new ideas? I've tried sending a support message to Microsoft, but their system is down. Figures.

Help!!!!

More about : webcam driver woes

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 5:41:03 AM

exactly the same problem here. first with Logitech c250, now with Rocketfish 2mp AF. I have M-box 2 too, by the way. there's a rumor that digidesign soft somehow has something to do with that. waiting for an answer too.
m
l
!