dhlucke

Polypheme
I hate to say this....sigh....but those don't impress me. After something like Farcry, that doesn't look that good.

Oh well, it's the engine we're after.

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yup, the game was impressive about 8 months ago

still looks damn nice, but its not "stat of the art" anymore

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Have you looked the 4th shot, when the guy shot into the water... It's a great effect, the impact of the gun on the water.

It's true that FarCry have a very impressive look, but it lacks solid physics, HL2 should be a way better regarding physics. I wish this will be true.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
If HL2 has good solid physics, that may be the only huge improvement over FarCry.

The graphics look great, but looking at the vegatation in the first screenshot, it doesn't look near as lush as FarCry.

Only time will tell. Hopefully HL2 can live up to some of its expectations.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I suppose I am, indeed, optically challenged. I found that most of the HL2 screenshots look like stills from a real motion picture while Far Cry often looks almost unnatural to me. I mean Default render colors first of all. I’ve never seen water so blue even in a swimming pool and when I was younger I swam competitively for over 10 years, seen lots of water in other words. :lol:

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
I looks like another mod for half life, with mildly better textures. I hope doom 3 lives up to the hype...

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE

cleeve

Illustrious
Far Cry has very impressive physics.

What Half Life 2 offers is more interaction with objects and those physics.

But it's like I said a while ago when Far Cry was released... Far Cry offers visuals that are of VERY similar to quality to HL2.

The biggest difference is in character facial animation and quality... that's where HL2 shines.

And, hopefully... gameplay. :)

PREST0

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
It looks really good, but it doesnt have quite the same impact as it did when I first saw screens of it. But if we remember correctly HL1 was really one of the great games of all time regardless of graphic prowess. If they can capture that feel while coupled with these visuals we will all be very happy. And I think all of us would like to see counterstrike and day of defeat get a serious makeover. I really cant deal with the CS visuals anymore, so ugly its a hindrance. From player models to grenades there is really nothing that looks good anymore with cs.

Piccoro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
These screens havn't been officially released by Valve.
They were the screens released to the magazines for their prints this month. Guess they got out. The magazines may have given permission to use them though.

Don't judge them like offically released material. They were only for print. DX8 and lowered detail.

Although it is nice to have something out there new. Should be more things after E3.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piccoro on 04/30/04 11:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
How would you possibly know what shader version operations and detail settings they used in the screenshots?

And why would they release any screenshots showing anything but the best possible detail?

What you're saying doesn't make alot of sense.

Piccoro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
The part about DX8 and lowered detail is more of a guess. But all of the screen shots/video we have been shown so far are DX8 (except the 1 bink video).

The part on lower quality I thought because they weren't going to be released in the form of JPGs but rather seen on mag. prints. The affects don't look near as good on some of the pics as we have seen in similar pics last year.

What happens when you turn down detail settings in a game like Farcry? Reflections are reduced and so on.
Just don't expect HL2 to look like this when it's done at all. If you have seen the DX9 bink or the PDF/the AntLion/Fire/Water pics then you know that already.

Those arn't offical screen shots though and that has been confirmed.

Also, most of the old pics were 1280x960 while these pics range in resolution from 5083x2859 to 1366x768 and 1119x684.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piccoro on 04/30/04 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
Official or not, those pics are running DX9 and high detail. Images for magazine prints would be even higher detail than a JPG for the web.

The specular highlights/shininess look better than DX8, and the amount of geometry for the characters are not low detail.

The only reason they don't look as good as we remember is that Far Cry has raised the bar of what we expect.

Remember, nifty looking water and other snazzy effects arent even in most of those images.Mostly, DX9 shaders will increase lighting quality and nothing more.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I always said HL2 graphics sucked.....Theiy look a lot like Call of duty graphics....

IMO in the graphical range : Doom3 > Farcry = Halo2 > painkiller > Halflife 2 = Call of duty...

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
is it just me or have they not mastered woman body as well as male body? women always look fake, even on the final flight of the osirus from the animatrix, that chick looked very fake while the guy looked real. back to half life 2. the graphics are impressive. i love the contradiction between the half life 1 gman and the half life 2 gman lol. one thing i noticed that disapointed me, all the human and animal creatures had shadows, but stationary objects dont, also one of the pics you can clearly see the shadow of a soldier, his hands are in the right place in the shadow but the gun is missing! im sure all these things wont matter durring game play, just that this game has been hyped so much, i just hope the physics can pick up where the graphics left off.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Maybe the beautifullness (is that a word?) of the women body cant be reproduced.

Ruby is not bad tough

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Maybe the beautifullness (is that a word?) of the women body cant be reproduced.
beautifullness is not a word, but beautifulness is a word.

I think the problem is that 99.9% of video game devs make women with DD breasts and tiny waists and that's why none look real!

I'm still very much impressed by the screenshots. Yes Far Cry has made them look a little less impressive, but I would argue that quite a few things in Far Cry didn't look so real and there were quite a few spots where the textures didn't look right, or they were a little repetitive. What amazes me the most about HL2 is the amount of detail in EVERY little object in the game, of everything I've seen, not a single game comes close to immersing you the way HL2 looks like it will. Max Payne 2 did a good job of that through the great physics and detail, but HL2 looks like it will be even better.

Also, I remember reading in PC Gamer a few months back that HL2 will be about 38-45 hours long, which is about 3 -5 times longer than all other recent FPS.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
beautifullness is not a word, but beautifulness is a word.
Neither is a word. The word is "beauty".

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I think we're going a little off topic here, but...
<A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=beautifulness" target="_new">http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=beautifulness</A>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
If you two little girls want to be grammar nazi's...take it to pm's.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Hehe :eek:) Ya, off topic for sure. But since you brought it up... Before I posted the original comment I looked it up in the Webster's and double-checked with a professor of English (I work in a college, you see).

And just now as I was about to post this, another English professor walked in. I shared the "problem" with him. He suggested that I write an awkwardnessful sentence to illustrate the clumsinessfulness of beautifulness. :wink:

Dictionary.com is a poor source of language knowledge in the sense that they list everything regardless of whether it is formally correct or incorrect. People say all kinds of things, such as "neither he, nor she" and there are many grammatically, morphologically, etc. incorrect words and expressions. The fact that mass illiteracy perpetuates them does not make them correct. Of course, one can experiment by slapping together a bunch of suffixes, roots and prefixes and pretend that he created a word. Let’s try it: How about "floccinaucinihilipilificationalizationalize"?

Since you seem to be interested in the language, read the book quoted in my signature below.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"I think the problem is that 99.9% of video game devs make women with DD breasts and tiny waists and that's why none look real!"

HAHA, do you prefer to have some overweight middle aged housewife with stretch marks as the princess at the end of the stage?

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE

dhlucke

Polypheme
[homer]

Mmmmm, stretch marks....

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Don't make me slap you back to Bangcock!
Irregardless of not unproper grammar usage, proper language usage is a waste of time in many cases.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply