sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
They have some official pics of the XBox version of Doom 3 posted here:

http://www.planetdoom.com/xbox/screenshots/official/

In comparison, the XBox detail is so miserably low that it almost looks like a different game from PC Doom. Of course, a lot of the images that they show of the PC version are at very very high res, but even at real-world settings the PC version will be vastly superior. It looks like the character models have a drastically lower polygon count, aside from the character detail being dumbed down as well. The XBox version has many major differences beyond inferior graphics anyway. Console graphics still suck... when I see those pics of XBox Doom it makes me feel even better about my 9800 Pro.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Xbox shots look identical to pc shots.... once tonned down a "bit"

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 04/30/04 07:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The difference is quite a bit more dramatic than that; if you played the alpha or saw the hi-res shots you would immediately notice that the graphics in the PC version are hugely superior. It looks like the character models have been completely re-designed for the slower hardware.

Just_Tota

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
Totally agree. The PC version is very superior to the X-Box´s, the polygon count in the models of creatures is a lot higher, plus the details, etc. If I´m not wrong, I think the X-Box had a graphic card similar to a GeForce 3, so we ought to have that in mind...

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Yea i have the alpha and i was a bit sarcastic in my post....

But alpha had so many problems.....

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah the alpha is definitely a barely-working demo and nothing more. There doesn't appear to be soft shadows, and the character models are definitely going to be revamped in the final product. Also I wouldn't expect to see a lot of the map areas that appeared in the demo. Last fall I found that it no longer seems to run on the NV20, even with the NVEmulate tool- I think this has to do with the nVidia drivers. It still runs perfectly on R300 however.

Mr. Carmack has maintained very strongly that the alpha does not reflect, in any way, what the game will be like when it is released, yet every time I've played it I am dumbfounded. The lighting and shadows system is stunning, and the subtleties of all of the surface/light interaction are unbelievable.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.planetdoom.com/xbox/screenshots/official/" target="_new">http://www.planetdoom.com/xbox/screenshots/official/</A>

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Payment in bed credits.

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
The PC version is very superior to the X-Box´s, the polygon count in the models of creatures is a lot higher,
WOW!!! You must have very special eyesight to be able to count the number of polygons!!!

I really don't see much difference between the PC and XBox screenshots and I'd be willing to bet that most on this forum could not tell a difference when looking at different pics of the game on the XB and PC. Without starting another PC vs XB/Console war (it's been a while thankfully), I happen to think that the XBox version looks incredible!

Obviously the PC version will run in higher resolutions and therefore have a crisper image, but in terms of lighting and shadow effects, everything looks almost on par, which would make sense seeing as the XB will be running the game at 480P (I'm pretty sure, but not positive that it'll be progressive scan). The lower res might be the reason some people think that there are lower poly counts, but I remember reading somewhere that the # of polys on the characters is the same for both versions (I forget where I read that, I'll post a like as soon as I can confirm that).

PC will no doubt have better controls (mouse + keyboard vs controller)
With the co-op mode of the XB, the ability to chat online with teammates on XBox live, and Dolby Digital 5.1 (I have 5.1 on both XB and TV, but better speakers on the TV) I think I'll be forced to buy the game for both XB and PC!

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
"that is going to be one scarry game."

Agreed, its gonna leave HL2 in the dust. I wonder what will get game of the year, this of Far Cry.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE