Security Tab

jean

I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
logged in as Administrator.

Thanks

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

Go to Start/Control Panel. Click on Folder Options, and in the Folder Options
window click on the View. There in advanced Settings section go to the last
line with name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" and UNCHECK it.
Click apply and ok. Now when u click on the File>properties you will see
security tab :)

"Jean" wrote:

> I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
> folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
> tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
> logged in as Administrator.
>
> Thanks

jean

Don't have a "Use simple file sharing...." to uncheck. Any other suggestions.

Thanks

"gates" wrote:

> Go to Start/Control Panel. Click on Folder Options, and in the Folder Options
> window click on the View. There in advanced Settings section go to the last
> line with name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" and UNCHECK it.
> Click apply and ok. Now when u click on the File>properties you will see
> security tab :)
>

> "Jean" wrote:
>
> > I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
> > folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
> > tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
> > logged in as Administrator.
> >
> > Thanks

How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jean" wrote:

| I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
| folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
| tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
| logged in as Administrator.
|
| Thanks

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

Please do exactly what I wrote: Start/Control Panel, click on Folder Options.
There you will see several tabs ( on top ): "General, View, File types,
Offline files". You need to click on View tab. There you will see two
sections: Folder views and Advanced Settings. In Advanced Settings section
there are lots of options with checkboxes alongside. You just scroll to the
bottom ( click on the scroll bar on the right and drag it to the bottom ).
The line has a name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" . UNCHECK
this checkbox. Click apply and ok.
If you're usin' WinXP Professional there has to be such line ( option ). I
don't know about Home Edition, sorry

"Jean" wrote:

> Don't have a "Use simple file sharing...." to uncheck. Any other suggestions.
>
> Thanks
>
> "gates" wrote:
>
> > Go to Start/Control Panel. Click on Folder Options, and in the Folder Options
> > window click on the View. There in advanced Settings section go to the last
> > line with name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" and UNCHECK it.
> > Click apply and ok. Now when u click on the File>properties you will see
> > security tab :)
> >

> > "Jean" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
> > > folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
> > > tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
> > > logged in as Administrator.
> > >
> > > Thanks

jean

Yep, I did exactly as you said and Xp Home doesn't have it. What next?

"gates" wrote:

> Please do exactly what I wrote: Start/Control Panel, click on Folder Options.
> There you will see several tabs ( on top ): "General, View, File types,
> Offline files". You need to click on View tab. There you will see two
> sections: Folder views and Advanced Settings. In Advanced Settings section
> there are lots of options with checkboxes alongside. You just scroll to the
> bottom ( click on the scroll bar on the right and drag it to the bottom ).
> The line has a name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" . UNCHECK
> this checkbox. Click apply and ok.
> If you're usin' WinXP Professional there has to be such line ( option ). I
> don't know about Home Edition, sorry
>
> "Jean" wrote:
>
> > Don't have a "Use simple file sharing...." to uncheck. Any other suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "gates" wrote:
> >
> > > Go to Start/Control Panel. Click on Folder Options, and in the Folder Options
> > > window click on the View. There in advanced Settings section go to the last
> > > line with name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" and UNCHECK it.
> > > Click apply and ok. Now when u click on the File>properties you will see
> > > security tab :)

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

Dude I've noticed that there a post by Carey. Click on the link he's
provided. That will give you a clue! Sorry, didn't know you are using WinXP
HE, that's why there was no "Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )".
Carey's link will help you!

Bye :)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jean" wrote:
>
> | I have been instructed (symantec) to "set permissions for the Symantec Shared
> | folder", when I go to File>properties I am supposed to look on the "security
> | tab". There is none. How do I get to the Security Tab location. I am
> | logged in as Administrator.
> |
> | Thanks

For XP HE you'll have to boot into safe mode or apply an old NT4
security policy to get the Security settings tab. I was going to try
and see what in the policy brough the setting back but I never got
around to it.

"Jean" wrote:

> Yep, I did exactly as you said and Xp Home doesn't have it. What next?

> "gates" wrote:
>
> > Please do exactly what I wrote: Start/Control Panel, click on Folder Options.
> > There you will see several tabs ( on top ): "General, View, File types,
> > Offline files". You need to click on View tab. There you will see two
> > sections: Folder views and Advanced Settings. In Advanced Settings section
> > there are lots of options with checkboxes alongside. You just scroll to the
> > bottom ( click on the scroll bar on the right and drag it to the bottom ).
> > The line has a name " Use simple file sharing ( Recommended )" . UNCHECK
> > this checkbox. Click apply and ok.
> > If you're usin' WinXP Professional there has to be such line ( option ). I
> > don't know about Home Edition, sorry
> >
> > "Jean" wrote:
> >
> > > Don't have a "Use simple file sharing...." to uncheck. Any other suggestions.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

You have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab in XP Home.

--
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.