html Help files do not work correctly

Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
folder, do not work correctly.

So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
object expected )

I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
Thanks in advance for any help
3 answers Last reply
More about html files work correctly

    Use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy of HH.EXE
    or
    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "gates" <gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB2596EF-FCA5-44D3-A134-6B0B8B4F487D@microsoft.com...
    > Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
    > files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
    > load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
    > but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
    > besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
    > folder, do not work correctly.
    >
    > So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
    > recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
    > Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
    > that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
    > object expected )
    >
    > I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
    > Thanks in advance for any help

    I already checked system files recently. They are ok. It is something else
    that causes this.
    Sorry

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy of HH.EXE
    > or
    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    > 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "gates" <gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB2596EF-FCA5-44D3-A134-6B0B8B4F487D@microsoft.com...
    > > Html help files ( .chm ) do not work correctly. For instance some of the
    > > files in C:/Windows/Help folder do not work correctly ( some images do not
    > > load, "Related topics" link does not work - "page cannot be displayed" ) ,
    > > but some work correctly- for instance Windows Media Player help file. And
    > > besides Norton AntyVirus help files , though they are not in C:/Windows/Help
    > > folder, do not work correctly.
    > >
    > > So the point is that for some reason SOME of the files with .chm extension
    > > recently started workin' incorrectly. And when I click on the Windows
    > > Glossary link in Help and Support Center an error message appeares informin'
    > > that there's an error in the script on this page ( runtime error, error:
    > > object expected )
    > >
    > > I would appreciate if anyone would help me resolve that issue.
    > > Thanks in advance for any help

  3. had the same problem with some of my files(vista but may not matter).

    tried unlockers, no soap.

    sounds crazy, but what i eventually did was to open the file with a non windows

    application, move to desktop, open, close, undo move, with every subfolder in the

    file. bingo. sounds crazy, but it worked.

    you're welcome in advance, xrmauk@yahoo.com

HTML Windows XP