strange xp sp2 problem

On April 22 around 7 PM (EST), we had 6 pc's (all with sp2 installed) lock
up. They would boot up okay but freeze just before explorer.exe loaded
(took log on okay and loaded wallpaper but no icons and ctr-alt-del wouldn't
work). The only solution was to uninstall service pack 2.
We have a network of around 220 pc's but only about 35 have XP, the rest are
W2K). We use TrendMicro for email and desktop anti-virus.
Because many of the XP boxes are for M-F users, I'm not sure if they are
affected, too.
Has anybody heard of a virus going around with a target/activation date of
April 22?

Windows XP: 100 % CPU UTILIZATION after installing TREND MICRO ANTIVIRUS:
http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com:8080/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21399820.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"news.microsoft.com" <pdwight1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On April 22 around 7 PM (EST), we had 6 pc's (all with sp2 installed) lock
> up. They would boot up okay but freeze just before explorer.exe loaded
> (took log on okay and loaded wallpaper but no icons and ctr-alt-del
> wouldn't work). The only solution was to uninstall service pack 2.
> We have a network of around 220 pc's but only about 35 have XP, the rest
> are W2K). We use TrendMicro for email and desktop anti-virus.
> Because many of the XP boxes are for M-F users, I'm not sure if they are
> affected, too.
> Has anybody heard of a virus going around with a target/activation date of
> April 22?

Yes, that was it, Ramesh. After posting the message, it struct that it all
happened on the same date around the same time. I figured that must have had
something to do with a virus so I checked Trendmicro's site today and found
that link. Man, that's pretty bad when an anti-virus company sends out a
"virus!"
> Windows XP: 100 % CPU UTILIZATION after installing TREND MICRO ANTIVIRUS:
> http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com:8080/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21399820.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "news.microsoft.com" <pdwight1@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On April 22 around 7 PM (EST), we had 6 pc's (all with sp2 installed)
>> lock up. They would boot up okay but freeze just before explorer.exe
>> loaded (took log on okay and loaded wallpaper but no icons and
>> ctr-alt-del wouldn't work). The only solution was to uninstall service
>> pack 2.
>> We have a network of around 220 pc's but only about 35 have XP, the rest
>> are W2K). We use TrendMicro for email and desktop anti-virus.
>> Because many of the XP boxes are for M-F users, I'm not sure if they are
>> affected, too.
>> Has anybody heard of a virus going around with a target/activation date
>> of April 22?

Glad you got this resolved!