Poll: Stupid Wico-Style Joystick Question

Ok. I've wondered this for years.

When I install a Wico-style joystick, I put the little black disk *under*
the control panel. Yes, I know, you see the control panel hole that way, but
the disk covers the joystick frame and moves freely with the stick.

I've seen plenty of others who put the disk *on top* of the control panel.
Yes, I know, it covers the hole, but now you have a larger diameter black
cover that just floats on top of the panel.

So, what's it suppose to be? Over the panel or under the panel?

-roy-

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

This it just a thing of preference. if your installing an after market
joystick like wico, it goes on top.
If it's an original from factory game, they custom made the size to fit
under the panel. this was a major problem after a while as the disk would
wear and start to cause problem with movement of the joystick.

Personally I would say, if it's a game going on location put it on top.
If it's going in your own personal game room, put it under. It looks better,
however on some panels you may have to custom trim the disk to make it fit
and work correctly.

Troy,

Chumblespuzz <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> Ok. I've wondered this for years.
>
> When I install a Wico-style joystick, I put the little black disk *under*
> the control panel. Yes, I know, you see the control panel hole that way,
but
> the disk covers the joystick frame and moves freely with the stick.
>
> I've seen plenty of others who put the disk *on top* of the control panel.
> Yes, I know, it covers the hole, but now you have a larger diameter black
> cover that just floats on top of the panel.
>
> So, what's it suppose to be? Over the panel or under the panel?
>
> -roy-

I thought it was supposed to go over the panel to keep dirt out.

Dane.

"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> Ok. I've wondered this for years.
>
> When I install a Wico-style joystick, I put the little black disk *under*
> the control panel. Yes, I know, you see the control panel hole that way,
but
> the disk covers the joystick frame and moves freely with the stick.
>
> I've seen plenty of others who put the disk *on top* of the control panel.
> Yes, I know, it covers the hole, but now you have a larger diameter black
> cover that just floats on top of the panel.
>
> So, what's it suppose to be? Over the panel or under the panel?
>
> -roy-

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As Chumblespuzz so eloquently stated:

> No so sure. If you look at many games with joysticks on KLOV you will
> find that the disk is under the control panel. I know that my 3 Atari
> games with joysticks, Dig Dug, Black Widow and I Robot, all have the
> disk under the control panel.

I thought the disk went on top to prevent leaving a pinch point. :\

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"