New Charges for SMS, Call Display, VM

I didn't see a post on this yet, so...

Starting May 20, 2004.

Call Display $4 per month
Voice Messaging with Instant Reply $4 per month
Voice Messaging with Instant Reply and Call Display $6 per month

Text Messaging (Regular Rate (not in a package))

Messages received - Free

Messages sent to a customer of a Canadian or American wireless carrier
- 15c each

Messages sent to a customer of an international wireless carrier - 20c
each

A charge of 30c per message sent from abroad (outside the U.S.) will
be added to the above rates.

15c applies to all e-mail messages sent and received, and to each text
or e-mail received from fido.ca.

So, forget about texting while roaming overseas.
7 answers Last reply
More about charges call display

    Shawn wrote:

    > I didn't see a post on this yet, so...

    Where did you see these new rates announced ?

    > Starting May 20, 2004.

    Not much of a notice. If this is documented in my next bill, I'll have about 2
    weeks notice. Once normally expects one month notice for any change in billing.

    > Call Display $4 per month
    > Voice Messaging with Instant Reply $4 per month
    > Voice Messaging with Instant Reply and Call Display $6 per month

    So, it is a $1 increase for the "minimum" combo of call display and VM. I
    couldn't care less for their "instant reply" feature. Never used it while I
    was on Fidopro.

    > Messages received - Free
    > Messages sent to a customer of a Canadian or American wireless carrier
    > - 15c each

    So they are switching to "sender pays". (except when a message comes from the
    web site (and I assume TAP).

    > Messages sent to a customer of an international wireless carrier - 20c
    > each

    They should only charge more if they start to actually support such
    functionlaity and tell you exactly which carriers accept SMSs from Fido. (and
    from them TO Fido).

    > A charge of 30c per message sent from abroad (outside the U.S.) will
    > be added to the above rates.

    One more reason to get an unlocked handset when travelling and buy local SIM
    card to avoid exhorbitant roaming charges.

    It will be interesting to see how Rogers manages to develop relationships and
    if it can get more competitive SMS rates with international partners.

    When Fido was part of the T-mobile "gang", it had some reach on a worldwide
    basis, but now, it seems to be totally alone in the world. So we can't really
    expect them to be able to negitiate sweet deals with the big guys, especially
    if Rogers is getting "exclusive" deals with them.

    > 15c applies to all e-mail messages sent and received, and to each text
    > or e-mail received from fido.ca.

    Consider that a modern handset can send/receive emails via GPRS, at it costs
    $0.03 for 1024 characters, versus $0.15 for 160 characters for SMS.

    What remains to be seen is how Fido will price MMS originated emails.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:49:06 -0400, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >When Fido was part of the T-mobile "gang", it had some reach on a worldwide
    >basis, but now, it seems to be totally alone in the world.

    And what is it that makes you think that Fido/Microcell is not now
    party of the T-Mobile "gang?" T-Mobile has the same 15% investment in
    Microcell that they did when the company was known as VoiceStream.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:49:06 -0400, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >> A charge of 30c per message sent from abroad (outside the U.S.) will
    >> be added to the above rates.
    >
    >One more reason to get an unlocked handset when travelling and buy local SIM
    >card to avoid exhorbitant roaming charges.

    And I'm sure that you think that Rogers won't change or add to their
    text messaging fees as well, eh?

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    > >When Fido was part of the T-mobile "gang", it had some reach on a
    worldwide
    > >basis, but now, it seems to be totally alone in the world.
    >
    > And what is it that makes you think that Fido/Microcell is not now
    > party of the T-Mobile "gang?" T-Mobile has the same 15% investment in
    > Microcell that they did when the company was known as VoiceStream.

    Actually, T-Mobile no longer holds an interest in Microcell. It was washed
    when the company was recaptilized and they did not reinvest

    Joseph wrote:
    > And what is it that makes you think that Fido/Microcell is not now
    > party of the T-Mobile "gang?" T-Mobile has the same 15% investment in
    > Microcell that they did when the company was known as VoiceStream.

    Nop. T-mobile's share of Microcell was divided by a large factor. Not sure if
    it was 1000 or 10,000. They may retain the same number of shares, but because
    Microcell issued a huge number of new shares, this has diluted the value of
    old shares down to almost nil.

    T-mobile widthdrew its member on the Microcell Board shortly after Mcell
    entered bankrupcy protection last year.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > So they are switching to "sender pays". (except when a message comes from
    the
    > web site (and I assume TAP).

    Might I add "switching back", and since receiving emails through SMS
    isn't free, Rogers still has them beat IMHO. TTYL

    > Consider that a modern handset can send/receive emails via GPRS, at it costs
    > $0.03 for 1024 characters, versus $0.15 for 160 characters for SMS.

    Try sending a 1024-characters email and see how many K's it costs in
    traffic, both ways :)

Fido Messaging Internet Service Providers Displays