Wireless connection for 2 pc's using broadband

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Broadband
  • Hardware
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 7, 2005 4:26:02 PM

Not sure if this is right place but can anyone help.
I want to connect a destop pc & laptop to use the internet. I have BT
Broadband - If I use an ADSL router, what other hardware do I need in each
computer (they are not in the same part of the house, hence cannot connect by
cable)
--
Jane

More about : wireless connection broadband

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:51:08 PM

This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and
software only, Jane. You should post general questions to perhaps
(depending on your operating system) to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web or read information on the Internet
like the very fine www.practicallynetworked.com site.

Depending on the location of your computers, you may be able to use just the
modem to share the incoming signal, may need a router to do the sharing for
you, and would need at least a Network Interface Card (NIC) in each system.
Computers these days generally come with the Ethernet hardware installed, so
you would need RJ45 Ethernet cables. Or, you may need to have at least one
of the computers on wireless if the distance is too great (or home
environment such you don't want to run a cable).

You might also check some of Barb Bowman's networking columns on the Expert
Zone: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC